• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Laptop suggestions please

My laptop (Acer Travelmate) looks like it is about to give up once and for all. I may get away with a new hard drive but if worst comes to worst then I would welcome feedback from PT'ers as to what make and model they would recommend (and what to avoid).
    I consider size to be VERY important so nothing too heavy.
    Thanks
    Jo Birch
    Looking for someone to manage your next project or event? Then call now!
    +61 450 148 678

Hi Heg

I have a Dell, and I have no complaints (yet).

Dell laptops are very customisable when you buy it, so you can pretty much decide on what spec and price you want. Just go to their web site (www.dell.co.nz), choose the base model, and then customise it before you buy.

I went for the bigger 6400 base model. A bit heavier, but it has a larger screen and more grunt for a good price, which was my priority.

I know someone else who always buys *******s.
    Last edited by drelly; 19-11-2006 at 01:34 PM. Reason: fixed link

Apple MacBookPro. Lightweight and only icebergs off Dunedin coast will be cooler than you are!
    If you are not ready to "think differently" - consider Sony, very lightweight and feature-packed.

Dick Smith always has good deals available, end of line etc or just specials. I sent my mate down there once and he came back with an Acer for $899 with $100 cash back, a free bag and a free mouse, he was very thankful! Dell are great also and Acer are great value for money with Worldwide warranty (so does Dell). So go to www.dse.co.nz and search for laptop or notebook and they will all come up. www.pricespy.co.nz will make sure they are in the ballpark and away you go!! I work in the computer industry and I would say avoid IBM, service is poor and we had to replace 40 boards in ours, a real pain. You will see a lot of IBM's for a good price but they are probably ex-lease and 3 years old. I remember when laptops were $10,000+ so what you get today is just amazing and deductible!!

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanhoe View Post
    Apple MacBookPro. Lightweight and only icebergs off Dunedin coast will be cooler than you are!
    If you are not ready to "think differently" - consider Sony, very lightweight and feature-packed.
    You don't even need to 'think differently' anymore -- they run Windows!

I've been considering getting one for next year, but from reading at NZGames.com, and the hardware problems some of the have been experiencing has put me off a bit. However, even the ones that have been having problems still say they'll "never go back to windows".

NZGames thread here.

Bought a Dell Inspiron 6400 about 6 - 8 months ago and have been very happy. Had a monitor fault when it arrived but was replaced the next day and all has been good since.

I had no idea what the spec's of laptops meant (had only ever ownerd a desktop before) but after doing a bit of research found that:
    - DSE *generally* only carries low end models (trying to be the cheapest in the market)
    - Decent name brand machines (e.g *******) from other retailers seemed very expensive
    - Dell was by far best value (good spec for reasonable price)

Would seriously consider a Mac now, but the Dell has been great.

Gerrard

Hello team,

I have for the last 4 years used IBM Thinkpads - they are tough and long lasting.

What ever you get check up on the battery - Sony pumped out a whole lot of defective batteries that sometime explode!! Yes thats right explode like in a ball of flames - its so bad that some airlines stop people from using certain brands and models on aircraft.

Click here to view a dell up in flames due to the Sony battery - IBM is not immune either - it seems Sony batteries are used in quite a few brands.

Cheers

Marc
    Free business resources - www.BusinessBlogsHub.com

Yep, Dell is pretty good, cheap, very customisable and touch wood, rock solid at least thus far.

Of course a flashy alternative (depending on what you use your laptop for) you could get a smart phone such as a ***** 9300 which you can pick up off trademe for not too much I got a ***** 9300I (Same as 9300 but with wireless) off ebay over here for £150. This would mean you could have your spreadsheets with you wherever you go, and if you are willing to pay for it, internet access

Cheers
    David

THanks for all the input guys. Most helpful
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanhoe View Post
    Apple MacBookPro. Lightweight and only icebergs off Dunedin coast will be cooler than you are! .
    Rob is very keen on an Apple Mac but we just bought MYOB and I'm not sure it will work on a Mac?

We've had a couple of Dell over the years as desktops and been very happy with them, so may consider them.
    Too much choice - that's the trouble
    Jo Birch
    Looking for someone to manage your next project or event? Then call now!
    +61 450 148 678

I would not buy a Compaq again. Generally the laptop itself was pretty good for about 3 years, but when it started to have problems the cost of parts and servicing was astronomical. Customer service at the Compaq service centre in central Wellington left a lot to be desired.

I now have a cheapish NEC which was reasonably priced and is so far reliable.

Thread Information