Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lockboxes rule!

Hi all!
    Just wanted to share a tip which made my life easier and also it's great leverage tool.
    I bought a lockbox, one like RE agents are using, it's like a lock with digital code and small compartment for keys inside.
    During redecoration tradespeople can get access easily - I text them the address and the code, they get in easily - saves hours and hours of time and some $$ in cutting all these extra copies of the keys.
    But really cool stuff is using them with RE agents - basically I tell them: "I will not give you listing, but bring me a buyer and I'll pay comission, address is XXX lockbox code XXXX, if you want me to pay you your full comission the price shoud be $$$$ (very realistic)" (if I had more houses for sale I would print flyers and drop in agent's pigeon holes in their offices - but at this stage it's couple of friendly agents who work in the area)
    So these agents bring prequalified buyers (they would not waste their time othwerwise) that they found via other open homes thru and so does mortgage broker with his clients pre-qualified for 100% mortgage - and I can still sell privately or put tenant buyer in.
    Bunnings warehouse has the best deal on lockboxes - around $90 but it drops down to $83 with your PIA card (it's 50% cheaper than any other places I know) - great investment I reckon!
    Last edited by Ivanhoe; 30-10-2006, 06:49 PM.
    Don't argue with idiots, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Ivan,

Will you pm me the code so I can go through your property/-ies?

Before anyone thinks this is a silly remark, how many of us would go around telling lots of virtual strangers by text or otherwise that the key to our then empty house is under the third rock by the back fence?

And what is worse, a whole host of total strangers are being shown all through your vacant house by an agent who has no contractual obligation to you at all, and hence your comeback on that agent if things go missing is severely limited.

Think about it.

xris

Comment

Hi Ivan

These are a great idea and I use them all the time on our projects but we only give the codes to our team of tradesman and not strangers as Xris kindly pointed out. And also, just be careful to keep your building sites and vacant properties very secure as two of our sites in Christchurch have been hit by burglar's last week and stealing would you believe hot water cylinders. We are now putting in temporary alarms now while our properties are being renovated.

Kind Regards
      Last edited by clark; 30-10-2006, 07:47 PM.
      Trish Clark

Comment

Thanks Trish, I'll take it into account - and Kent's story gives an extra warning too. If these guys are after hot water cylinders - they will have a nasty surprise - it's CRAP!
        I think one of the agents mentioned investor doing similar thing - I'm sure it was you - cool!
        Xris, did I mention strangers? People calling off adds? I think you missing the point and (as usual - sorry mate) you see only negative side - these agents have much more than "contractual obligation" - it's called TRUST.
        So in my book benefits outweight risks - and yes, I considered risks this arrangement brings.
        So - lockboxes Rule!
        Don't argue with idiots, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Hi Ivan

It is the damage that these xxxx people are causing that is annoying me. Very tempted to rent a Rottweiler for a month and give them a nice little surprise when they break and enter one of my properties next time.

Kind Regards
          Trish Clark

Comment

Yes, I gues they are not ripping them off in professional tradespeople-like manner, eh?
            I guess properties were insured - any difficulties making claims? (I asked mu broker MANY times about situation like your's - yet they were VERY vague and reading smallprint does not clarify much I'm afraid)
            cheers

Comment

I have the most amazing insurance broker and so no I have not had any problems thus so far claiming. The major set back is waiting for the police to come and finger print etc which has taken upto 72 hours before they could get there.

If you need a great insurance broker send me an email and I will give you her details as I have had three insurance claims in the last six months and not one problem.

Kind Regards
              Trish Clark

Comment

Lockboxes rule!

Ivanhoe - What a brilliant idea! It's often the simplest ideas that are the very best. Can you just pick the lockboxes up from a normal locksmith? Pete.
                "Measure Twice - Cut Once"

Comment

Hi

I pick my up at Ross Galt Locksmiths here in Christchurch but I believe Ivan sources his from Bunnings.
                  We have approx 10 in circulation at one time and I believe we paid around the $80 dollar mark.
                  Hope this helps

Kind Regards
                  Trish Clark

Comment

I got some from www.padlocks4less.com about $50 each landed, 5 day delivery.

I find them brilliant as well. Unfortunately the key at my latest place doesn't fit in the chamber :-( Now i'm using staging furniture i'm not sure about giving access.
                    We Buy Houses | Sell Your House Fast - No Fees, No Stress

Comment

Hi Grant

Mine are coded so we change the codes after each project.
                      Also, when we dress our projects we use a company with full insurance in case our properties get ripped off.

Kind Regards
                      Trish Clark

Comment

Hi Trish,

We can change codes on ours too. My problem is the key for the front door of this house is too long to fit in the chamber of the lock-box.

I was letting tenant\buyer prospects go through vacant houses on their own. Now i'm dressing the latest one, I don't think this is a good idea!

My latest project is here if anyone's interested: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...px?id=75921791

Comment

Looks great Grant. The furniture really sells it.
                          Nice job
                          Jo Birch
                          Looking for someone to manage your next project or event? Then call now!
                          +61 450 148 678

Comment

Looks VERY cool - shouldn't be a problem to move this one!
                            How much do they charge for the staging?
                            PS: I especially liked the recipes book.

Comment

Staging company i used is $1950 + GST for 5 weeks.

Comment

Working...
                              X