Hats off RM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Monid View Post
    Oh and before someone asks what the Tilde (~) is, its a classic logical sign for negation. (Paul isn't this a brillant way to stealthly teach formal logic! You got the Ampersand earlier, and now I've snuck in the tilde.)

Thus "~Voltaire" is a way of saying "not Voltaire"

David
    Oh great and wise Monid, perhaps we should change your name to Oracle. (~)

Comment

So if you're having a really bad day you could say, "Things are going really great ~!!"

Comment

lol

Smart arse!

I guess I should have edited that post for being too pratty as well then Apologies it comes with the academic territory sometimes you end up sounding like a pratt!

David
        New to property investing? See: Best PropertyTalk Threads for New and Old Investors And/Or:Propertytalk Wiki

Comment

Sorry couldnt resist,

Tim

Comment

Oh to continue my prattyness

the tilde should really come at the front of the claim it is negating so:
            Monid is ~ the oracle
            Or ~things are going really great

Here endth the lesson
            David
            New to property investing? See: Best PropertyTalk Threads for New and Old Investors And/Or:Propertytalk Wiki

Comment

Hmm, you know I had absolutely no idea you were an english as a second language writer... I don't think you need the practise on PT

I'm now trying to guess country by the name you have picked, it looks vaguely Korean to me? Feel free to not answer as it is mere ideal curiosity.
              $100NZD says its Japan.

BTW ~ I promise to pay up if I lose.

Comment

Well fortunately I'm not a gambling man... So I won't take that bet

I did consider Japan, it sounded Japanese when I first attempted pronouncing it. But, and my memory of Japanese is very old and shaky here, but from what I recall of hiragana you can't get an R alone followed by an Yu since R isn't a stand alone letter it only comes in varieties of Re, Ro, Ru, Ri & Ra. Of course this isn't proof because I'm not sure that hiragana is a good guide to transliteration from Japanese into English though it does work the other way around.

David

Comment

Well fortunately I'm not a gambling man... So I won't take that bet
                  Heh heh, what costitutes a gamble?

I take the odd risk here and there but normally with some level of certainty that the gamble will pay off i.e ~ Lotto tickets, scratchies, the pokies etc.
                  I did consider Japan, it sounded Japanese when I first attempted pronouncing it. But, and my memory of Japanese is very old and shaky here, but from what I recall of hiragana you can't get an R alone followed by an Yu since R isn't a stand alone letter it only comes in varieties of Re, Ro, Ru, Ri & Ra. Of course this isn't proof because I'm not sure that hiragana is a good guide to transliteration from Japanese into English though it does work the other way around.
                  My methods of deduction were a tad more simplistic.
                  Originally posted by Ryutaro View Post
                  Well, I for one have followed this discussion from over here in Japan.
                  I have one question for the moderator in charge. Just how much does banner advertising cost on this site?
                  Just to clarify. Does the tilde go in place of the word not or does it preceed the entire sentence?

Cheers,
                  Marcus.

Comment

Oh yeah. Ryutaro also shares the first name of the ex-Japaneese Prime Minister Ryutaro Hashimoto.

Comment

But, and my memory of Japanese is very old and shaky here, but from what I recall of hiragana you can't get an R alone followed by an Yu since R isn't a stand alone letter it only comes in varieties of Re, Ro, Ru, Ri & Ra.
                      David
                      'RYU' (different from 'RYUU') can be spelt with a 'RI' and a small 'YU' in Hiragana/Katakana, or represented by a number of single Kanji (Chinese characters) with different associated meanings.
                      payji-san dayo, SAN! sonkei shiro!

Comment

Rats... Well I got that wrong then.

And of course I made the classic mistake of a philosopher... I used deductive reasoning when empirical evidence was available which settled the question

It basically depends on how you want to use the tilde, you could either put it at the start of a sentence to indicate that the whole sentence is false, or you could as you suggest just put it in place of the word not.

In other words either:
                        ~the world is nice
                        of the world is ~nice

Both are acceptable and have pretty much the same meaning.

David

Comment

That was a funny read, haven't logged in for a few days. Pajisan explained it well. The hiragana's are Rya Ryu Ryo Ra Ri Ru Re Ro I'm not a betting man neither always sh#t out of luck

Comment

Working...
                          X