Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding Bedroom

Hi People,

We are thinking of converting a bedroom into two.
    The existing bedroom can be easily converted into two double bedrooms (size wise).

All it would require is a wall and a door.
    We have sopken to a couple of architecs, one of them mentioned since there is no alteration, no consent from the council would be required.

Just wondering if we can get some advices from people who has done it reagrding what would be the best way to approach this.
    And how much would it roughly cost us to do it?

Cheers
    Pumpkin King.

If you are only adding a wall then no consent is required.
    You will need to provide adequate support to additional door openings with lintels etc.
    Also check that you can provide enough window space for light and ventilation.

Comment

I've done this a couple of times, have a look at where the light fitting is and the switch's on the wall.
      If you can split it without adding too much wiring and work required for your electrician then it should cost about $1500.

This is based in a builder for 1.5 days and you doing the demolition if any and you doing the painting.
      I usually just paint the new wall not the whole room that way it's cheaper and quicker.

Cheers

Steve

Comment

And don't use an architect to draw up plans! That may well end up costing more than the cost of the alterations.

Use a draftsman or, better yet, a builder who will do their own plans. Both the draftsman and the builder will (or should) know both the Building Act requirements and the local body requirements relevant to your situation.

Dividing a large room into two reasonably-sized rooms is a briliant was to increase value and rental yield. That's the kind of thing I look for.

Paul.

Comment

Originally posted by casacamo View Post
          Also check that you can provide enough window space for light and ventilation.
          If not use a ventilated solar tube.

Comment

I have just done this in Tauranga, because i was putting in a door to make it a seperate bedroom i had to get a consent. Also because the window was not the right size i needed to buy a new window because it was a bedroom. so i changed my plan and called it a study presto no new window required. costs were, 1day for builder = 1dozen and free dinner,materials $480.00 including paint and plaster. 2 days labour for myself plastering and painting 20 days waiting for council approval another 2 waiting for inspections . oh amost forgot $500 for consent. was i p%$$ed
            I'm sick of the crumbs i want a piece of that pie

Comment

I recently converted a basement into an additional living area.

No consent was required because there was nothing structural being done, just adding some lined walls to an existing area. You should not need plans to add a wall - the builder can work it out for himself without an expensive picture of it.

Comment

There are, as far as I know, minimum headroom requirements for bedrooms, which can sometimes stand in the way of converting a basement into a bedroom/bedrooms. Does anyone know if there are minimum headroom requirements for living areas?

If not, then converting the basement of a 3 bed house into a lounge and converting the existing (upstairs) lounge into 2 more bedroom could be an excellent move. I can think of just such a property where this could be a good solution to an underutilised basement with low headroom. I had never thought of this before.

Paul.

Comment

Yes I believe there are minimum head room requirements for a bedroom. The room I created in my basement was officially a 'rumpus room', which there is no problem with.

Comment

Hi Pumpkin King

If I had a dollar for everytime I heard the "it isnt a structural wall" or "I'm not changing the shape of the house".... comments.

Now lets establish I am no export at this and it is dependant on the council that your dealing with but my research suggests anything changing the floor plan requires consent.

Sure there are "rumpus rooms" etc but what about insurance if anything happens. the insurance companies just love anything thats not done quite right to deny claims etc.

So if your question is "Does this require consent" My answer would be yes.

If your question is "Should I get consent" well thats entirely different!!

Simon

Comment

Originally posted by RentMaster View Post
                      Yes I believe there are minimum head room requirements for a bedroom. The room I created in my basement was officially a 'rumpus room', which there is no problem with.
                      Thanks RentMaster.

I'd always check with council before doing anything like this sort of conversion, but your answer gives me hope that there might be a good twist to houses on basement garages with low headroom.

Paul.

Comment

Thanks ppl,

All are helpful,

anyone has a good builder that they know in auckland area that we can use?

Ta
                        Pumpkin King.

Comment

You possible don't need a consent as you are adding a wall as people have already mentioned. But I would think one of the most important aspects is ventilation and fire escape. Will both room end up with an opening window that provides the required amount of ventilation as per the building code and can this window be used as a fire escape. These may not seem so important now but as it is a rental property you don't want to have to stand in court and justify why a person didn't have mean of escape in your rental property when there was a fire.

This may not be an issue for you if there are 2 windows in the existing bedroom, but I viewed a property to buy that have no window in the divided of bedroom which I conceded a big problem for the tenant and landlord.

Comment

Hi Steve,
                            Sorry I am new here but can I just ask.
                            I own a one bed and wanted to split it into a 2 bed. My home is 56sqm, is it possible?
                            It's going to look very small but is possible. Can I get your thoughts?
                            Cheers,
                            Aatish

Comment

anything is possible.

I would think you'd need to provide a bit more information and details for anyone to provide you any real help.

Comment

Working...
                              X