Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who pays wastewater on water rates bill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who pays wastewater on water rates bill?

I just received a new 'water and wastewater' account from Manuakau water for my two rentals in Mangere. Previously the water bill included water only; wastewater was apparently included in the Land Rates.

Water bill is $93 in one house, and $59 in the other. Wasterwater is $63 each. I am assuming it's a fixed rate per household.

I have one tenant who pays the water and another that has water included in their rent.

So... who pays the additional wastewater costs? Can I now pass on the wastewater component as well?

(I suspect there might be something in the Tenancy Act - I'll check it a bit later when I have a bit of time. Meanwhile, I thought I'd throw it out there for discussion.)
    Lisa

By the sounds of it the wastewater charge is one applied by the council that bears no relation to actual use.

That is to say that a vacant property would still be charged $63 (based on what you've said).

The answer is pretty simple (well in my mind it is) - it is a component of local government rates (you sait it used to be included in your land rates) and therefore, as is convention with residential property, is paid by the landlord.

M
    Last edited by Mark_B; 20-09-2006, 12:50 PM.
    Comments may not be relevant to individual circumstances. Before making any investment, financial or taxation decision you should consult a professional adviser.

Comment

Welcome to council QUANGO insanity number 3546 Lizzy.
      Your current tenancy agreement should state whether the tenant pays water or not. Unless it specifically mentions waste water, which it won't, then YOU have to pay it until you change tenants and can get the water clause amended for the new tenants.

Comment

Working...
      X