Buy cheap so you can sell cheap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buy cheap so you can sell cheap?

I'm mentally wrestling with an accounting/tax situation that could do with some experienced input to clear my foggy thinking.
    Trying to keep it simple:
    A long time ago I used to change my car often. I'd buy a newish one (at a good price) and sell my current one and the important thing was the difference in price between the two cars.
    I didn't worry to much about 'market value' of either car - I just focussed on the difference in price that I'd have to cough up.

Moving on to property:
    I'm thinking of replacing an existing property with a better performing property. If I can buy the new property real cheap, can I sell the existing property cheap and get a quick deal? Of course.
    But will I lose some tax benefits? Is this situation quite different to replacing my car?

Here's some figures for example:
    Usual situation:
    Property A - worth $200k with 200k mortgage. Interest on 200k is deductible.
    Sell property A for $200k. Pay back mortgage.
    Buy Property B - worth $300k with 300k mortgage. Interest on 300k is deductible.

My hypothetical situation:
    Property A - worth $200k with 200k mortgage. Interest on 200k is deductible.
    Buy property B - worth $300k for $250k. Interest on 250k is deductible.
    Sell property A for $150k (quick sale - I saved 50k on purchase of B so don't mind dropping 50k selling A)
    Pay 150k from sale of A towards the mortgage on A leaving 50k outstanding - secured against ??? B?

So my outcome is owning B with 300k in mortgages but only 250k being deductible. So I'm worse off?

Or can a clever accountant dance around with the figures and end up with interest on 300k being deducible even though the purchase price was 250k?

As usual, appreciate all comments.

Hi Tricky,

The first trick would seem to be to find a lender who would allow $300K to be secured against a property purchased for $250K. Supposing you have a valuation for $300K, the trick would be to find a lender that will lend against valuation rather then purchase price, at the time of purchase.

If you can't do this immediately, then the trick will be to find a lender who is happy to lend against valuation after a certain period (say 3 or 6 months), or even sooner if the property has been renovated. (My mortgage broker tells me that a lick of paint inside will count as a reno or improvements.) Then, if you use the extra $50K for the purpose of investing in property, interest on the whole $300K will be deductible. It all depends what the extra $50K is used for.

This comment is only based on my knowledge of how to do things. Others out there may know a better way of getting interest on the whole $300K deductible from day one. If there is a way, I'll be as keen as you to know it.

Paul.

Comment

The $300K in mortgages is made up of $50K from Property A + $250K from Property B.

Yes, the problem is securing the $50K, but if you can do that, then all the interest is still deductible - it is the intention at the time of taking out the loan that is important, not the presence or absence of any particular security.

cube
      DFTBA

Comment

Not enough info Tricky. What are the yields on the properties. Bearing in mind that ultimately the real money in property is in capital growth......
        If you keep property A and it rents for $300 a week you have a cash loss in very rough numbers of lets say $100 a week = $5000 per year.
        BUT if you keep that property and allow for rents increasing at 3% per annum and capital growth at 3% per anum then in 5 years
        Sell property now be $5000 cashflow richer
        Keep property
        1. Mortgage at 8% = $80000 outgoings
        2. Rent at 3% growth = $79637.03
        3. Capital growth @ 3% = $231854
        This is off the top of my head to get you thinking but in simple terms I make you to be $31491 better off if you keep this property. That is with no allowance for tax benefits or the fact that 3% capital growth is ridiculously low.
        Sell this property when someone prises the keys out of your cold dead hands

Comment

You probably need to do your figures over 8-9 years, to ensure you capture the need boom. The property may be worth less than it is now in 3-5 years time!!

John

Comment

Working...
          X