• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter MobilizeMail follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on RSS

Latest Threads/Videos

News and Views

Most Active - Last 30 Days

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default A list of common costs

Hi Everyone

I was wondering if people had any estimates on trades costs for the common add value jobs. For example:

- Building an additional room:
    - Creation of a sleep out:
    - Painting of a standard 100m2 house, including under coat.
    - Painting roof
    - Building a deck
    - New kitchen
    - New bathroom
    - Carpet a standard room

I was thinking this sort of list would be a great asset as a sticky for this forum so that we can see whether or not we are all getting the BEST deals out there.

Carpet - $40 pm + $25 pm laying cost
    Vinyl - $30 - $40 pm + $25 pm laying cost
    DFTBA

There were some advertised specials for roof painting recently in our local Hamilton paper- $1000- 2 companies were advertsing this and A1 roofing was one of them. It included nailing down any loose nails, an inspection for any leaks and and I think 2-3 coats of paint.
    I would be very intersted in seeing the prices people come back to you with as we are currently doing the following to our own (lived in) residence:
    - Painting roof
    - Building a deck
    - New kitchen
    - New bathroom
    - Carpet a standard room

Bathroom can vary from $5,000 to $8,000 depending on amount of work etc.
    If you start moving plumbing, altering walls or if there is potential for water damage beneath what is visible be prepared for a budget blow out. Can creep easily towards the $10,000 if you are not careful.

On bathrooms, showers don't vary too much, but baths can be from $99 to $5000+ for a full blown spa bath!
    DFTBA

on painting 3 brm interior 2 coats ceilings and walls $2500 \3000
    exterior 100sq timber $4500 \ 5500 for two coats

roof for above two coats including presure wash 1200 \1500 of course this does depend on the quality of paint used for the job

on kitchens basic $2500 placemakers up to 40000 for designer most would average 8000 to 10000 in ppr

on sleepouts large single room with toilet in existing building $3500 labour not included

These prices should get you a quality job depending on whom you employ

On bathrooms - my plumber said rough estimate for his work is $700 per fitting connected.

In our case was 1 x shower, 1 x vanity, 1 x bath, 2 x toilets.

So $3,500 just for the plumbing, not to mention the cost of the fittings, moving walls, sanding floors etc.

I had a place painted south Auckland 8 months ago. Is around 120 Sqm and one half is 2 storey which requires scaffolding etc..They painted exterior including the roof with quality paint for
    $5512 Incl GST.

Default Cheap?

Hi Guys

Thanks for teh replies. I have asked a few tradespeople and they think that the prices quoted are relatively cheap.

Most houses seem to be 5-7k (+gst) depending on prepaint work and the roff 2-3k depending on what paint is used.

I know that my property manager had a place done for me in Gisborne which came in at 3.3k but my costs in Chch were closer to 5-6k.

Internal is roughly 2-3k, again depending on prep work.

Three rooms of a house carpeted for 2k.

Bathrooms vary greatly as are kitchens.

When quoting paint jobs is it safe to assume that everyone is refering to prepaint, undercost and two top coats or are you talking of a once over??

My paint job for $5512 was a complete prep , undercoat, top coat and roof paint all in quality paint.
    Painter asked if I wanted option1. cheap paint and flick or if I was buy and hold and wanted option 2 do it properly. I went for option 2.

Best options are networking with other investors too. At one of the local Auckland APIA meets members drew up a list of all there best tradespeople for west Auckland.

I can remember getting quotes for tree trimming. They ranged from $250- $1000. All for same service. I chose the friendly tradesperson whom came in at a good price and gave me good service. I paid him promptly and was happy to recommend to others.

Paul. What part of NZ are you thinking of? Or is it simply to let you allow for the figures on a place that is for sale?

Thread Information