• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HermanZ
    Reads Sorry RM but I think this journo is taking the pizz.
    I agree. As I said above, I think the story was pretty much a plant by RM that didn't come off.

If you want to see a good example of a plant, just look at any articles on 42 Below. IN most cases they are writen by the vodka blokes/directors/ex PR and ad guys and only slightly rewritten by the papers. Great for free advertising but it has to suit your image which it doesn't for an exclusive club.

Hi eveyone,

Its me the ordinary bloke who got to shake hands with President Bill.

I'd love to stick the photo onto this thread for all to see but don't know how.

The photo is like an investment into property.

The China market is huge and it is something everyone should think about rather than knocking back the photo shoot with negativity.

Perhaps this is the difference between those that see an opportunity and others that don't.

I attended a (3 hour introductory) Roger Hamilton Wealth Seminar last week, and one thing he mentioned was that the business generated in the Asia Pacific Region in only 2 years time will be much larger than anywhere else in the world, and far exceeding that of the USA which is currently in excess 76 Billion per year.

A good book I suggest everyone to read is "CHINA INC" by Ted C. Fishman (ISBN 0-7432-5752-9), search it out on google and it will give you food for thought.

So the long and the short of it - Does anyone want to shake my right hand (the hand that shook the hand that shook Monica)..... by appointment please!

Cheers Ron
    email: [email protected]
    Last edited by RonHoyFong; 28-03-2006 at 08:09 AM.

Ron

Forgot to hassle you about your quote re the footballer. Did you really say that? Although thinking of the audio interviews I have heard of you, it does sound like your off the cuff comments.

I wasn't hassling it as such. Just point out that there appeared to be contraditions (ie. it being exclusive). If the Aucklander Club or the Northerner club had an article in the paper, I dont think they would then post it on a forum, and they aren't nearly as exclusive as this.

I think the rest of the critism is pointed at the reporter.

Hope you enjoy the future events. I just hope all 50 of you dont have to squeeze into two ferrari's - or have you bought one?

Quote Originally Posted by RonHoyFong
    The photo is like an investment into property.
    Ron, I guess it's a cultural thing that we don't appreciate.

If I went into a business and saw the owner had a series of blowhard photos of "has-been celebrities and me" on the wall I'd lose respect for the owner. It's the same as name dropping in conversation. It comes across as insecure.

The Chinese see it differently. And, as you point out, the Chinese are going to be a major economic influence on NZ this century.

We need to reassess our cultural norms to take advantage of this.
    Wealth vs Health - why have both when you can gorge on one?

Hi CJ,

You are correct with the footballer bit, I guess I owe Eric Rush a big apology especially having sat with him on several occassions knocking back imported beer, champaigne, and spring water. (I guess this is the importance of swapping business cards so we can look up details when there is a memory lapse during a unexpected and impromptu telephone interview with a newspaper reporter, say the wrong thing and you are done like a dogs breakfast.)

Hi Cats

I also have a photo of Auntie Helen Clarke, and Uncle Jim Bolger on my wall. Yes I totally agree about the name dropping stuff, so I don't flout it.

However imagine, if you yourself were doing business in an unfamiliar country such as India or Asia Pacific, in an unfamiliar city, in an unfamiliar village, in an unfamiliar factory, and introduced to an unfamiliar supplier, and trying to assess a person in the first 20 seconds to do a million dollar deal. Or if that same supplier who may also be meeting with your local competitors was to walk into your office, then that photo of Bill may possibly be a "point of difference" to build that bridge, Bill may also save me a 10+% discount in the negotiation process and flexible terms. (10% of a million bucks...hmmmmm that a deposit for another property or two!)

I suppose in all fairness the majority of people wouldn't see any monetory value or opportunity in such a photo, but for me (as a JP and QSM) and my business of Asian Groceries I have Political and Community Leaders plus business visitors from overseas constantly trying to supply products (or trying to justify a tax deductable business trip and yum-char luncheon.) And lets not forget the majority of Yanks are patriotic of their Presidents. Everyone values different leaders and icons differently. Donna values the Queen. Most rugby forumites would see more value in a photo with the footballer Eric Rush. Others who are quiet, happy, and content in life would be just satisfied with great-granddads photo - after all if it weren't for him you wouldn't be here today.

As to the Presidential Inner Circle this is another matter. If you want to fast track into networking with successful people, then this is one hell of a sure way to get there fast.

The "Business Forum" in February was a classical example. If you booked a table of 10 the individual cost would have been $1800, but if you booked solo the cost was about $2400 and you still couldn't get a photo at that. However the Presidential Inner Circle as a package was able to negotiate a photo for all its members with Bill Clinton. The choice was then up to the individuals, however I didn't see Michael Hill, Eric Rush, Kurek Ashley, and numerous others (including myself) saying no.

So what is it that we see as an opportunity knocking that others cant?

Cheers Ron
    [email protected]

Remember - you are the average of the circle of people that you associate with.

With Roger Hamilton and the XL Life Membership - I am a member and paid about $8000 for the privilege.

This fee is for 'life time membership' to mix with a huge number of Enterpreneurs from countries around the world - many of them as successful as Michael Hill and Co.

I get training every year and can attend workshops and conferences in different countries to network with success business people (the network is huge in Asia).

I also get a fantastic magazine that is soon to become a monthly......and on top of all this if I ever decide to leave I can sell my membership for more than I paid for it.

Personally I think all networking opportunities thru 'clubs' and otherwise are essential and although I have chosen to go with the XL Life Members - I wish the 'club' mentioned here all the best.

Cheers,

Donna
    PropertyTalk Blog - property articles - About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Maybe people should look at it this way....

50 people who each have $10,000 to spend have decided that this is an investment or an opportunity rather than a cost.

Maybe they are correct maybe they are not but in their collective wisdom they have made that investment and are at a point were they have the money to do so.

For my part I'd be interested in sitting in a room of 50 people who each can afford $10k to be part of a networking circle, Bill or no Bill.

My 2 cents.

Steve

I've met Clinton, shook his hand, and had a 5 minute chat and it didnt cost a cent. No photo though....

Default picture vs 1000 words

Im not implying anything with this comment, its just to throw another light on one single component of this thread

If I saw a picture of someone shaking hand with Mr Clinton hanging on their wall, my immediate assumption would be that it was done in photoshop.

R

Hy Rhys

Yes that is always a possibility and I have had lots of pictures emailed to me with the heads of a celebrities superimposed onto someone elses body, eg George Bush, Osama Bin Ladin, and yep Britney Spears.

If you really think about what you have said and a person did see such a picture on the wall of someones office then that would mean they were prejudgemental of the person in the photo,... or is this a reflection of their own self being as to what and where they think they are in their level of life.

If that person was to lift their own self-value and know that they can achieve whats in the picture then you will find that they will see the picture in a different and positive light.

Perhaps this is what makes some goalsetters more successful than others. If we are become knockers and critics of everything which may also have been an opportunity then I can only see a negative reflection. Look at everything as a possible opportunity then we now become positve in ourselves and things start becoming more achieveable.

However if someone really needs to go to a photoshop to create an opportunity for themselves then thats fine and good luck to them.

Karma at the end of a day leads us to the type of path we choose whether it be honest or dishonest, and will return what's given.

Cheers Ron

Thread Information