• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Sunday Star Times Article on Richmastery - 26th March

Sunday Star Times – 26th March 2006

Your brush with fame – for $10,000

A pair of motivational business gurus have set up “the worlds most exclusive private club” which gives ordinary Kiwis the chance to meet and have their picture taken with famous people – for a price.

Phil and Corinna Jones set up the Presidential Inner Circle – annual membership fee $10,000 plus GST – last month. Its main drawcard: members get to have their picture taken with such luminaries as the former leader of the free world Bill Clinton, former leader of New Zealand Jenny Shipley, and former Tamaki Makaurau MP John Tamihere. Members have also been photographed with after-dinner speaker Gary McCormick, former rugby player Eric Rush, and former television host Ric Salizzo.

The club is limited to 50, and those wishing to join pay $5000. Members have to keep the time, date, location and content of Presidential Inner Circle meetings secret and agree not to give out club CEO Corinna Jones’s mobile number. The club is the latest spin-off from Phil and Corinna Jones’s company Richmastery, which teaches people how to get rich, mainly through the property market. Its almost evangelical motivational techniques have been referred to as Destiny Church meets self –help guru Tony Robbins.

The club, listed as a registered company, was launched at the Global Business Forum in Auckland last month – co promoted by the Joneses – where 30 members shook hands with Bill Clinton and had their photo taken with him. Clinton charged $5000 a head, but for club members it was one of the “membership privileges”. Members also get “12 days of unprecedented access” a year, “in the company of the four amazing and respected Presidential Inner Circle Hosts”. The hosts are the Joneses and their equally well-groomed sidekicks, Kurek and Marie Ashley.

Members, who must meet a high standard of dress, are invited on cruises and pay extra to attend luxury resorts. Another attraction is a series of “Ferrari Days”, where the Joneses offer “one-on-one access” to them and their sports cars.

Businessman Ron Hoy Fong, who owns several tofu shops, said Richmastery helped him quickly amass 26 properties, and a profit of 2.8 million, so he had no hesitation in joining the Presidential Inner Circle. “For me it’s networking with likeminded people. I’m just an ordinary bloke, this is an opportunity to sit down with Michael Hill jeweler and his wife, and Kurek and Marie Ashley, who I’d never be able to sit down with otherwise, and with a footballer, whose name I’ve forgotten..” Fong believed the $10,000 membership fee was value for money, as attending the Clinton seminar would have cost him $2000. “And you can claim $3300 as a tax deduction, plus deduction on the GST.”

Fong said meeting Clinton had been “cool, really cool”. He had put the picture on the wall of his shop. “If an importer from China walks in and wants to know who I know, they all know Clinton. I’ll make my money back that way I think.”

Source: http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3616708a13,00.html
    Last edited by donna; 27-03-2006 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Article in Sunday Star Times does not have hyperlinks

Default and the product is.....?

I don’t think I would want a visual record of me talking with half of those people.

Guilt by association.

Also, I would want to be paid to stand next to Mrs Shipley…In person she has the air of a pit bull abut her…(maybe she was just having a bad day)…

Quote Originally Posted by McDuck
    Guilt by association.…

Agreed.
    Scarey possums!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Find The Trend Whose Premise Is False - Then Bet Against It

Is it me or did the person who wrote that try to make it sound as though you pay $10,000 just for photo opportunities with some big wigs?

Man, reporters suck.

Irrespective of who the article was about, it's the worst bit of journalistic writing I have ever read, ever. I cannot believe they published it. It reads like it was dictated by a 4 year old.
    As to the actual content, don't underestimate the power of asssociation with successful people. I lloked at a property deal recently that I may have walked away from and by involving a more experienced businessman in the due diligence he saw an opportunity I didn't because he had more experience. End result could be as much as 2 million dollars more in the deal than I saw. If you were looking to start a franchisable business what would it be worth to sit down and discuss it with Michael Hill etc. Quite a lot I would estimate.

Agree…it’s often who you know…
    but I mean ..do you want to shake Clintons hand?…who knows where it’s been.
    Oh yea … the interns should know.

I agree with Dean - getting airtime with successful business people and well connected people is worth spending a few bucks on as long as the airtime is more than just a pleasantry or two and a handshake.

If the 'club' could get me a viewing with the Queen for a handshake now that would be impressive (IMHO).....yep I like the Queen!

As for airtime with successful business people - I'd spend bucks on a business mentor someone like Sam Morgan.

Just my two cents worth.

Cheers,

Donna
    PropertyTalk Blog - property articles - About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Quote Originally Posted by pooomba
    If you were looking to start a franchisable business what would it be worth to sit down and discuss it with Michael Hill etc. Quite a lot I would estimate.
    Yes but just because you get to shake his hand at an event, doesn't mean that he is going to give you an hour of his time to talk over your business plan. Depends on who is in the select group of 50.

I have always wanted to meet Mr Clinton to ask if he actually likes Cigars or if he just thinks they are for ..... (I will leave that joke for less savory forums)

Quote Originally Posted by Richmastery
    Your brush with fame – for $10,000The club is limited to 50, and those wishing to join pay $5000. Members have to keep the time, date, location and content of Presidential Inner Circle meetings secret and agree not to give out club CEO Corinna Jones’s mobile number.
    If it is exclusive, then way are you advertising it (yes I know it is an article but you are now posting it and I dont trust the NZ media enough to think you didn't have something to do with it.)

Have you not sold all your places yet??

Quote Originally Posted by pooomba
    Irrespective of who the article was about, it's the worst bit of journalistic writing I have ever read, ever. I cannot believe they published it. It reads like it was dictated by a 4 year old.
    Reads more like pro doing a send up to me. I would say it was a slow news day and he won the sweep to spend at the pub.
    Not even a cub reporter writes that bad.

all the luminaries are "former"

Destiny Church meets self –help guru Tony Robbins

with a footballer, whose name I’ve forgotten.

“Ferrari Days”, where the Joneses offer “one-on-one access” to them and their sports cars.

Members, who must meet a high standard of dress

equally well-groomed sidekicks, Kurek and Marie Ashley

There are more nuggets in there, just read it out loud a few times.

Sorry RM but I think this journo is taking the pizz.
    HermanZ

Thread Information