Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Capital Gains Tax? Keep related posts in this thread, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Minz View Post
    ....considering I could remortgage on my current rental properties and buy myself a ‘McMansion’ in my own name and have it paid off by tenants and not pay any CGT on that move.
    Not sure why you are making this claim.
    Surely anything paid off by tenants will be subject to CGT?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Kane View Post
      Not sure why you are making this claim.
      Surely anything paid off by tenants will be subject to CGT?
      But I won't be selling them, merely using the equity as security to purchase another property, they may be paid off, and tax will be paid on income profits but the properties won't be sold (thus not subject to CGT). As I understand, and it isn't out yet, an investor will pay CGT on any SALE of property. An investor uses current equity in property to purchase further property, thus there will be nothing stopping an investor doing this for a owner occupied property (as long as the OO is paid off from tax paid rental profits). Alternatively, an investor just continues to grow their portfolio using equity as long as nothing is sold then there is not CGT. Unless I am missing something.
      Last edited by Minz; 15-04-2019, 02:18 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Minz View Post
        Alternatively, an investor just continues to grow their portfolio using equity as long as nothing is sold then there is not CGT. Unless I am missing something.
        Yes, we all know that CGT is on the sale.
        Lucky for you, you seem to be immortal and will never sell so you are exempt from CGT.

Comment

Lucky for you, you seem to be immortal and will never sell so you are exempt from CGT.
          He won't care when he's dead Bob.

www.3888444.co.nz
          Facebook Page

Comment

• Originally posted by Keys View Post
            He can pass it on.

Comment

• Well, there are the likes of Graham Fowler with 80 properties, also not interested in selling, as he has the cashflow he needs for whatever he wants to do for as long as he lives. As the saying goes: 'you lose when you sell', but most of us end up having to sell some or the lot and that's why the CGT is a big deal.

cheers,

Donna
              Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

I wish I were...hopefully the Trust is immortal as long as it gets renewed by my dependents (yeah, right!) and as there is plenty of cashflow, I will not need to sell. That said, the CGT, as proposed at the moment, is dreadful, 33% and will hit those who are new to the investment route..those coming through now will miss what some of us benefited from. For the life of me, I don't know why they just don't do 10 yr bright line for residential real-estate....kind of like property development where there is a 10 year rule. But what I am to know...I was merely lucky due to timing

Comment

• from the news tonight

the implication was the coalition would also go after farms and business for CGT!

i reckon that would see them killed at the polls...

or if they did get in

would see the flight of capital
                  Last edited by eri; 16-04-2019, 11:28 PM.
                  have you defeated them?
                  your demons

Comment

• Originally posted by Keys View Post
                    But his estate will pay CGT so he hasn't avoided it at all.
                    He either pays it when he's alive or pays it when he's dead.

Comment

• Originally posted by eri View Post
                      from the news tonight

the implication was the coalition would also go after farms and business for CGT!

i reckon that would see them killed at the polls...

or if they did get in

would see the flight of capital
                      Excellent news!
                      The worse they make CGT, the bigger the hiding in the next election.

Comment

But his estate will pay CGT so he hasn't avoided it at all.
                        He either pays it when he's alive or pays it when he's dead.
                        Not necessarily....if the trustees keep the estate going into perpetuity...the way the English do...

Comment

• Today we're in for some sort of announcement on what the Govt will do re. CGT - today is a BIG day.

cheers,

Donna

Comment

• Like our fearless leader or not she is very savvy... announce on the day before a 4 day long weekend allowing one day of media heat before everyone goes on leave and it's forgotten by Tuesday.

Even if it's not forgotten on Tuesday the heat will be out of it and the pressure will be far less than announcing any given Wednesday afternoon.

Comment

• Yes too true, and it's how businesses sack lots of people too. Only I don't think it will be forgotten - unless they don't do anything (unlikely). The Easter break will give National heaps of time to work their PR machine and let rip post ANZAC.

I guess the announcement will be very soon.

Comment

• CGT Announcement is 2PM Today

According to NZH - it's happening in under an hour!

Comment

Working...
                                X