Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sneak Preview of Forum Guidelines

Hello all,

The new forum guidelines will contain a few sections and I will post the entire forum guidelines up for pt community review within the week of the 9th Jan once all mods are back from holidays.

But for now here is a DRAFT of some of the guidelines for Propertytalk members.

You acknowledge that all Content and all information, software, photos, video, text, graphics, music, sounds, questions, creative suggestions, messages, comments, feedback, ideas, notes, drawings, articles and other materials posted, emailed, or otherwise transmitted to, on or through this Website, whether posted at our request or voluntarily, and whether publicly posted or privately transmitted (collectively, the "Postings"), are the sole responsibility of the person who made such Postings. This means that you are entirely responsible for all Postings that you post, email or otherwise transmit to, on or through this Website.

We do not control the Postings of others and, as such, you agree that we have no responsibility for the accuracy, integrity or quality of such Postings. Although we have adopted community standards and conduct guidelines for the users of our Website (as described below), you understand that by using this Website, you may be exposed to Postings that are offensive or objectionable.

Except for Postings created by us (as to which you agree that liability shall rest with the entity which created the relevant Content and shall be governed by these Terms & Conditions), under no circumstances will we be liable in any way for any Postings, including, but not limited to, for any errors or omissions in any Postings, or for any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the access to or use of any Postings posted, emailed or otherwise transmitted to, on or through this Website.

You agree not to use this Website (including any Forums) to do, or attempt to do, any of the following (as to which you agree to accept us as sole arbiter in our absolute discretion):

a. upload, post, email or otherwise transmit any Postings or other materials that are unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortious, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, defamatory, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, or racially, ethnically, religiously, sexually or otherwise objectionable;

b. harm, wrongly influence or threaten children in any way;

c. impersonate any person or entity, including, but not limited to, a director, officer, employee, shareholder, agent or representative of PropertyTalk.com our Affiliates or any other person or entity, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent an affiliation with us or any other person or entity;

d. forge headers or otherwise manipulate identifiers in order to disguise the origin of any Postings or other materials transmitted to, on or through this Website;

e. upload, post, email or otherwise transmit any Postings or other materials that you do not have a right to upload, post, email or otherwise transmit under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationships (such as insider information, proprietary and confidential information learned or disclosed as part of employment relationships or under non-disclosure agreements);

f. upload, post, email or otherwise transmit any Postings or other materials that infringe upon any patent, trademark, trade secret, moral right, copyright, right of privacy or publicity or other proprietary rights of any party;

g. upload, post, email or otherwise transmit any unsolicited or unauthorised advertising or promotional materials, "junk mail," "spam," "chain letters," "pyramid schemes," or any other form of commercial solicitation or promotion, except in those areas, if any, that are specifically designated for such purpose;

h. upload, post, email or otherwise transmit any Postings or other materials that contain software viruses or any other computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, destroy, limit or divert the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment;

i. disrupt the normal flow of dialogue, cause a screen to "scroll" faster than other users of a Forum (or other portion of this Website) are able to type, or otherwise act in a manner that negatively affects other users' ability to use any Forum;

j. interfere with or disrupt this Website or servers or networks connected to this Website, or disobey any requirements, procedures, policies or regulations of networks connected to the Website;

k. intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law, including, but not limited to, any law and/or regulations having the force of law;

l. "stalk" or otherwise harass another user of this Website or employee of PropertyTalk.com or any of our Affiliates; or

m. collect or store personal data or attempt to collect or store personal data about other users of the Website.

Your privilege to use this Website (including the Forums) and contribute to discussions on the Forums depends on your compliance with the community standards and conduct guidelines set forth above. We may revoke your privileges to use all or a portion of this Website and/or take any other appropriate measures to enforce these community standards and conduct guidelines if violations are brought to our attention.
    Further, if you fail to adhere to our community standards and conduct guidelines, we may terminate, in our sole discretion, your use of, or participation in, any Forum.

All Forum communications, including, but not limited to, chat and message board communications, are public and not private communications. We reserve the right to monitor any areas of this Website (including any Forum) for adherence to the community standards and conduct guidelines set forth above or for any other purpose, but you agree we have no obligation or duty to do so and release us from any such obligation or duty.
    You acknowledge that by providing you with the ability to distribute Postings in the Forums, we are acting as a passive conduit for such distribution and we are not undertaking any obligation or liability relating to any Postings or activities in any Forum. Although we reserve the right to remove, without notice, any Forum posting for any reason, we have no obligation to delete Postings that you may find objectionable or offensive.
    Cheers

Marc
    Last edited by donna; 06-01-2006, 04:42 PM.
    Free business resources - www.BusinessBlogsHub.com

Hi Marc

Looks good.

I put in a couple of paragraph breaks to make it easier to read.

Bobn
    "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Comment

l. "stalk" or otherwise harass another user of this Website or employee of WeightWatchers.com.au or any of our Affiliates
      DAMN!! How come we are not allowed to stalk employee of weightwatchers.com.au?
      The new draft guidelines maybe a bit over the top. Lets just stick to property investment related rules I think.

Comment

Careful revision is required before release Whit.

Cheers,

Donna
        Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Originally posted by whitt
          DAMN!! How come we are not allowed to stalk employee of weightwatchers.com.au?
          The new draft guidelines maybe a bit over the top. Lets just stick to property investment related rules I think.
          Haha!

Yep this is WeightWatchers forum rules - the mods have been looking at a whole lot of guidelines from different websites. We like this one cos it covers all "issues" we encounter on Pt.

Cheers

Marc

Comment

A good place to start for format, layout etc.. However alot of the WW rules are over the top and not needed.
            Eg B, J, L and many more statements

Comment

Hello all,

Let us try a different angle on writing the new forum guidelines.

Why don't you - the pt community - help us write the guidelines?

Here is our problem as mods:

Pt was created by Donna and I to allow people to warn each other of scams. We were ourselves burnt by a scam in Aussie and started Pt to protect others.

However, adding unfounded or unproven posts that give harmful and sometimes destructive comments on a person or business is not what we want. Stating in a post that this person or this business did something bad without any proof and hiding behind some forum nickname is not on. Plus posting peoples personal details is absolutely not on.

So we must balance good communication to protect the community against scams but at the same time protect people and businesses from harmful and destructive false or un-proven statements made by unknown entities that hide behind nicknames.

I invite the community to help us create forum guidelines that help protect the spirit of Pt.

Cheers

Marc

Comment

Okay ,

To start off here are some rules that I think are important and do not address the main issue we are faced with but cover general abuse that I am sure no one will be happy with in a forum.

1) upload, post, email or otherwise transmit any Postings or other materials that you do not have a right to upload, post, email or otherwise transmit under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationships (such as insider information, proprietary and confidential information learned or disclosed as part of employment relationships or under non-disclosure agreements);

2) upload, post, email or otherwise transmit any Postings or other materials that are unlawful, threatening, abusive, harassing, vulgar, obscene, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, or racially, ethnically, religiously, sexually or otherwise objectionable;

3) upload, post, email or otherwise transmit any unsolicited or unauthorised advertising or promotional materials, "junk mail," "spam," "chain letters," "pyramid schemes," or any other form of commercial solicitation or promotion, except in those areas, if any, that are specifically designated for such purpose;

4) upload, post, email or otherwise transmit any Postings or other materials that contain software viruses or any other computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, destroy, limit or divert the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment;

5) intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law, including, but not limited to, any law and/or regulations having the force of law;
                Please voice your thoughts about the rules above and also any other rules you think we need and if you want address the main issues we are currently having.

Cheers

Marc
                Cheers

Marc

Comment

Hi everyone,

This is my opinion on what I would like to see made standard for posts that involve comments concerning individuals or businesses that the company/individual may disagree with.

I believe negative comments about ANY company (including PT) or individual (including me) SHOULD be allowed so long as;
                   The comments are not hear say (i.e. first hand experience)
                   The poster gives their real name.
                   All posts contributing to the thread are as above, first hand experiences from ‘real people’, and if the thread becomes heated then either edit, remove destructive and/or anonymous posts, or as a last resort lock the thread.
                   No private information (email, phone numbers, private addresses, etc) should be posted.

This should be clearly stated in the guidelines so to avoid any confusion or further debate of the matter.

If there is any question as to the authenticity of the person concerned posting the information, the company or person/s involved could in most cases question this. Any benefit of a doubt would of course have to be given to the business or individual if it was suspected that the negative comments were purely malicious or the authenticity of the poster (i.e. not a 'real person') was questionable.

My reason for holding this opinion is that I feel that we all have the right to be kept informed on what is happening (be it good or bad) with businesses, products, services etc within our industry.

Muting perceived negative comments I believe is a mistake. What kind of world would we live in if we did not recognise or acknowledge our mistakes?

If a genuine individual, has a comment of this nature to express, surely the opportunity is there for each party to respond. The anonymous posters and/or those that seek to inflame the situation, thus devaluing the thread, should have their posts removed.

I'd like to finish with a one more thing regarding perceived 'negative comments'.

This is in no way directed at anyone in particular but more so as some food for thought.
                  One can take a negative comment and make it into a positive quite easily by doing the right thing. Rather than practice the 3 D's (deny, deny, deny), fix the problem well and impress the hell out of everybody!

Eg.
                  Complaint: Excuse me, but the fence you built for me fell over.

Response: Thanks for telling us about your problem. We had a problem in your area as our contractor had not built fences in sand before and made an error in judgement on how deep to bury the posts. How about I fix the problem and then paint the fence for free to a colour of your choice.

Now in a forum like this, that would be great advertising and also be a positive out come for both I would imagine.

A wise friend gave me some great advice some time ago that went something like this.

“We are not measured by our successes, but more so on how we handle our 'stuff ups'”.

Actions can and do speak louder than words.

Cheers,
                  Marcus.

Comment

I agree on Marcus that we should be careful on what is muted.

Here is part of a message of suggestions I have already sent moderators on this topic:

"Snip"

I feel the moderators are doing a good job it is just without any clear defined rules it is sometimes difficult on where to draw the line on moderation.

Therefore this new year as the property market dies and developers collapse, tensions get high. I request moderators to:
                    *develop these new rules/ guidelines
                    *Any moderation carried out needs to be notified to poster with reference to guideline breach and why it was moderated. Eg rule 1 (c). No defamation & personal attacks
                    * and publish them in an appropriate place for all to use. ( eg Banner at top page , policies)
                    *Include specific rules on what is not allowed. Defamation, personal attacks.
                    *What continual breach's would cause threads to be locked
                    *What would cause polls to be locked and reset
                    * Remember newspapers are allowed to publish the truth so if a post is first hand and includes facts should it be allowed?

In your new draft guidelines you will need to include rules on moving posts to a more appropriate section or thread. eg

*commercial posts
                    *off topic posts
                    * Some individuals do carefully and knowing push there posts for there own benefit. Not sure what you can do here.

Clear rules will benefit us all as well as making a moderators job easier.

Should you be contacted by the likes of a company then you will already have had guidelines in place you can refer them to that you follow.

Comment

Hi

Originally posted by Marc
                      4) upload, post, email or otherwise transmit any Postings or other materials that contain software viruses or any other computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, destroy, limit or divert the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment;
                      I dont disagree with this rule and can see what its intended to stop but I just think it needs the word "intentionally" instered at the beginning. coz as it is worded, an anaolgy would be - you may not pass on a cold even if you dont have any symptoms of a cold and dont know your contagious!!!

in strict reality, because 1000s of new viruses are written everyday and there is absolutly no way of being protected from something that doesn't exist yet any one of us could at any time violate this rule.

however if someone intentionally sneezes there lurgy all over me then they should definantly be hung up and publicly flogged

Next point.. along the same lines Id be happy with some sort of clause that prohibits the act of attempting to harvest my personal details in anyway. E.G someone using a program to read the entire forum looking for bank accounts, phonenumbers, email addresses, usernames, etc...

for instance some members have there email address at the end of their posts, spammers love you people!.

Ps, I am a network administrator by day, PI by night .

cheers all
                      rhys

Comment

for instance some members have there email address at the end of their posts, spammers love you people!.
                        For us poor souls in business, making ourselves as available as possible makes us targets for spammers etc. Luckily, spam filtering software keeps the *rap down to a minimum!

Having said that, making the e-mail address at the end of the post automatically put in '@nospam.' before the real address may help? (edit - hey, look at that, the new forums don't automatically put in an e-mail button anymore.)

Not much from me on the Forum Guidelines - yes, we should accept brickbats as well as boquets for services providers (and PT), yes we should accept the free exchange of ideas and opinions (especially if the opions are different to our own) and no, we should not allow the forums to be hijacked by people who wish to air their dirty laundry in public.

cube
                        DFTBA

Comment

The standard in media is when a company or an individual's reputation is maligned by another party, the media organisation contacts the maligned party and gives them a right of reply. Should you consider doing this?

Comment

Hi Leapy

An interesting consideration.

Thanks

Tamara
                            You don't know how great things are until you loose it.

Comment

Working...
                            X