Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions to ask prospective tenants

Hii Guys

Here is a list of questions that you can ask prospective tenants.

Often it is difficult to elicit responsive or satisfactory answers from a prospective tenant. (That, of course, is grounds to reject them.) But sometimes everything looks good on a rental application, but something bothers you. Here is how to get the applicant to tell you things he might not otherwise tell you.

Creative silence. People hate silence. After you ask a question, SHUT UP! If they are not forthcoming with an answer, don't help them. Wait for them to say something. After they have answered, wait for a few seconds. They may hate the silence and tell you something they had not intended to tell you.

Ask open-ended questions. The key words are "Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How." No question with one of those words included in it can be answered yes or no. Another way to phrase a question is "Tell me about. . ."

Here are some sample questions which cannot be answered with just a word or two.

What did you like about your last landlord?

Tell me about your neighbors at your last apartment.

Why did you move from they house you rented before the most recent one?

When did you decide to move?

What are your hobbies?

What kind of electronic equipment do you have?

Why would you or wouldn't you rent from you present landlord again?

I think you get the idea. None of the above questions can be answered in less than a sentence. The prospective tenant will have to tell you something real.

Regards
    "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

yes indeed

Silence is golden.

Comment

Criteria on choosing the "right" tenant

Hi all,

First time to rent out an IP.

For seasoned landlords, what are your criteria in choosing the "right" tenant from all the applications that come through?

Ideally, we'd like to have someone who won't miss their weekly/fortnightly payments, someone who keeps the property clean and tidy, less complaints and demands, considers the property as their home.

But realistically, this doesn't always happen or there are other things we need to ask applicant or probably know more other than the basic criteria.

Thus my question if you can share any tips or insider info dealing with choosing tenants based from your own experiences.

Cheers

Comment

People will tell you what they think you want to hear. Do your checks thoroughly and go with your gut.

Comment

Hi ak22,

Here's some tips: Tenant Vetting

Be thorough in your investigative work to find out the 'character' of prospective tenants.

cheers,

Donna
          Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

My advice before viewings to have the section & house gleaming & well presented from outset. Attend to any maintenance issues with the place vacant incl clean carpets, curtains, all chattels working, smoke alarms & insulation info. Have your pricing correct, advertise an open home for a weekend & have all interested complete an application form + supply ID for yr relevant checks. Big mistake many newbies make outside of Auckland is to assume there will be a long que of professional couples all fighting to win yr home. Doesn't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by ak22 View Post
              Hi all,

For seasoned landlords, what are your criteria in choosing the "right" tenant from all the applications that come through?

Ideally, we'd like to have someone who won't miss their weekly/fortnightly payments, someone who keeps the property clean and tidy, less complaints and demands, considers the property as their home.

But realistically, this doesn't always happen or there are other things we need to ask applicant or probably know more other than the basic criteria.

Thus my question if you can share any tips or insider info dealing with choosing tenants based from your own experiences.

Cheers
              I email them thru an application form to start with (which incl asking why they're leaving where they are), references prior to viewing as well, that in itself vets a lot of them out - if they don't return it - its no harm or fowl cause enough people will, i won't tell them the address. I check all the info including facebook/linkedin checking and usual tenant/credit checking etc. On the tenancy form itself I specify as a bullet point list what I expect - ie they pay water, no smoking, no illegal drugs etc etc. If they don't fill it in, they don't get a chance - i view my properties as an investment not as a charity.

Comment

If they apply through Trademe have a look at their sale and purchases and feedback and search their public profile on Facebook. Also when you interview them take plenty of time. People tell you stories and as you chat to them they relax and start telling you more and more.

LAJ

Comment

Look them up on Facebook, amazing what that can tell you about that person, who they keep company with, and their attitudes.

Comment

Generally, Learning has is summed: go with your gut after doing everything possible as part of your checks. (Including a glance at the state of the inside of their car!)

Originally posted by donna View Post
                    Here's some tips: Tenant Vetting
                    Where did this bit come from?
                    You take a deposit to cover you for two month’s rent – first and last – and there are laws that mean you can evict if they don’t pay the other rent.
                    That item seems to have been lifted from North America [or elsewhere, o'seas] and not made relevant to NZ, so treat it with caution.

Comment

Im sure advice will fill up this feed enough to get you started, it all equals: YOU NEED TO TAKE GOOD APPLICATIONS & THOROUGHLY REFERENCE CHECK. and you need to have image/copy of ID. Also smart to search the tenancy tribunal for their name https://forms.justice.govt.nz/search/TT/

IF you're a first timer, consider buying Brian Kerrs book (i forget the title) called something like "landlording in nz" or guide to landlording in nz.

Checking thoroughly is your and selecting well is part of a solid foundation
                      Written by one of the team at http://www.chasepropertymanagement.co.nz/

Comment

Good Questions to ask potential new tenants (pre tenancy questions)

Hi,
                        We now ask the following questions to all inquiries from our trademe adverts for our properties for lease. We provide them this attachment (or they can download from our website) and then request they email back. We do this BEFORE arranging a viewing time with them. Saves a lot of time as these questions determine whether they would be the right tenants for us.
                        Anyone else got good ones to add?
                        ------------------------------------------------
                        Tenancy Pre- Application Form. (You must fill this in and email to us before arranging a viewing time). All potential tenants must fill in this form and view the property before being offered a tenancy from us. This form can be downloaded by anyone from (website name)

Please fill in your answers and email to
                        (email address) (If you are having computer issues filling in this form we recommend you go to your local library and they can help you)

A) Full Tenancy address you are applying for:

B) When can you start paying rent for this property? (Please note, you can move in at any time once rent payments start)? (Example: 01/01/2017)

C) Have you viewed the property with the property manager? Yes/No?

D) Have you done a drive by of the property? (If no we recommend you do so you understand whether this location is suitable for you) YES/ NO?

E) How long would you like to live at this property? (example 6 months, 1 year, 3 years etc):

F) Do you understand the move in costs are 4x weeks bond, 1x week rent in advance & 1x weeks letting fee? Yes Or No?

G) What is your full name and date of birth (as per your driver license/passport/Birth Certificate)? (example (David John Smith, 04/03/197

H) What are the full names and date of Birth’s of ALL other persons who would live at the property (as per their driver license/passport/birth certificate)? (example David John Smith, 04/03/197

I) Can all people aged over 18 years old (including yourself) who would live at this property be able to provide Identification? ( Passport or Birth Certificate or Drivers License)? YES OR NO?

J) What is your full current address where you are currently living/renting?

K) How long have you lived at this address?

L) Can you provide proof you have lived at this address by showing us a copy of the tenancy agreement? YES OR NO?

M) What is your mobile phone number and the phone numbers of all of those aged over 18 years old who would live at the property?

N) What is your email address?

O) Do you have any pets? YES OR NO? (If Yes please state which type of animal and how many)

P) Would you (and any occupants/people living at the property) be parking any vehicles at the property? YES OR NO? If yes, how many vehicles?

Q) What is your current property manager/landlord's name, company name and phone number and what is the full address of the property you rented from them? (Example: Tom Smith, Barfoot & Thompson Rentals, Phone 02122334455, Address 100 Main Street, Auckland)

R) What are your past property managers/landlords names and company names and phone numbers and addresses of the property’s you rented from them? (Please list as many as possible including dates) (Example, Tom Smith, Barfoot & Thompson, Phone 02122334455, Address 100 Main Street, Auckland. Date from 01/01/2014 to 01/12/2017)

S) Do you have any written landlord/property manager references? Yes or NO?
                        (If yes, please email to us)

T) Have you (or anyone else who would live at this property) ever had a tenancy tribunal hearing before? (Please be honest as we check up on the tenancy tribunal register) YES OR NO?

U) Have you (or anyone else who would live at this property) ever had money deducted from a tenancy bond? (Please be honest as we checkup on this) YES OR NO? If yes, for what?

V) Are you currently Employed? Unemployed? On A Benefit?

W) What is your occupation and what are the occupations of all those aged 18 years or older that would live at the property? (Please state the their name and their occupation). (Example: David John Smith, Builder)

X) What is your (and all people who would live at the property that are aged 18 years or older) current employers company name and managers phone number? (Example: Auckland Retail Shop Ltd, Phone 02122334455)

Y) What are your (and all people who would live at this property) sources of income? (eg. Work and income benefits, salary/wages, pension)

Z) Have you ( and all people aged over 18 who would live at this property) read the tenancy clauses and terms as shown below (clauses 1 to 4 and also read the ‘Cleaning Guide” ? Yes or No?

Do you (and all people aged over 18 years old who would live at this property) agree to have their names on the tenancy agreement (as the tenants)? Yes or No?

Any other comments we should know or you wish to tell us: ………………………………..
                        Last edited by Perry; 01-11-2017, 08:19 AM. Reason: disabled smilies

Comment

Thanks all.

These are really helpful especially with small details you'd overlook such as inside one's car! amazing!

I remember when I bought my house, one trick was visit the street during trash/recycle bin pick up day, to see what type of people live within the street.

Thanks teamchase for the link. Didn't know such exists for anyone to use.

Comment

Before signing any tenancy agreement I always finish off with a home visit to check that the data from vetting and my instinct was right. It's good to see how prospective tenants live and I give the tenants a conditional offer of the tenancy if the visit is satisfactory.
                            Don't sign any agreement until you have all the bond and rent.
                            Last edited by Lighthouse; 31-10-2017, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ak22 View Post
                              Hi all,

Cheers
                              Always get photo ID
                              Always vet all adults 18 years and over
                              If they park in the driveway at the viewing whilst everyone parks on the street its a sign that they think far too highly of themselves and will constantly complain about trivial matters
                              If they let their kids jump on the furniture its a sign that they don't place tight boundaries on their kids
                              If they ask 101 questions about trivial matters at the property and pot shot the place but yet still want to apply its a sign that they will be a pain to deal with

Hope this helps
                              Fraser Wilkinson
                              www.managemyrental.co.nz
                              Wellington / Lower Hutt / Upper Hutt / Porirua

Comment

Working...
                              X