Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rent Increase

Hi Guys

Is there a set amount or percentage increase that a landlord can make to increase your rent?

The reason I am asking is because our rent is due to up by about 350%.

Regards
    "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

No limit but the landlord can't charge you an excessive rent. It sounds like you have had a great deal in the past.

I'm sure you have looked at other places and know if the new rent is in line with what other landlords are charging.

Comment

Another factor to consider is the frequency of increases.
      Most tenants will not take too kindly to having their rents raised more than once or twice per year.
      As a tenant I look for a rent-lock-in clause (where possible) to avoid a rising rent market.

350% seems like a large increase - what is the $ value though?

This 350% increase may only be bringing rents into line with the market and may not need to be raised again for many years.

Comment

Most tenants will not take too kindly to having their rents raised more than once or twice per year.
        They would have good reason not to be happy if you increased their rents more than twice a year. (Section 24 of RTA)
        All answers to your queries can be found in sections 24 and 25 of the RTA (Residential Tenancies Act) at this link.

Comment

Working...
        X