Turning area underneath an (elevated) house into a living area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turning area underneath an (elevated) house into a living area

Hi all, I've got a house which is elevated off the ground. There's about 80sqm of space underneath the house which I think could be converted into a separate, self-contained 2bedroom area.
    There will need to be plumbing, electrical work, some excavation (to level the ground), consents etc etc involved.

I've never done a project like this - where do I start? Would I bring in a builder and ask if what I have in mind is feasable? Or an architect? Engineer? What are some questions I'll want to ask or information I would need before getting started with a project like this?

Additionally, what kind of a price am I looking at for such projects?

Hi Johohello,

Yes you're on to it - Your architect will let you in principal what's possible and who's needed. You can also select a builder to do this for you and then go to an architect.

You can spend thousands on the pre-construction process - but it's a necessary evil so to speak. I believe the average fee for an architect is between 6 - 10 percent of the build cost.

Choose your team carefully. You don't want issues during the build. I took up to 3 years before I made a commitment with a build project - which seemed reasonable when you're spending hundreds of thousands $$$.

cheers,

Donna
    Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

also see https://www.propertytalk.com/forum/s...ent-Conversion - it's got some good info in it.

cheers,

Donna
      Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

think of a number and double it a few times

Comment

use an architectural draftsman not an architect

discuss concept first (free consultation?)

first step does your distreict plan a;llow you to do this (minor dwelling or second dwelling on the site?

Comment

For a similar project, I spoke to:
            - A architect for guidance and estimated costs to get me through a resource consent (for change of use) and building consent. Moving foundations or digging down was going to be expensive, as was fire rating between the dwellings.
            - A builder for estimated costs for all work, using his subbies
            - Council to see if they had any objections.

Comment

Working...
            X