Retirement: What I don't miss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retirement: What I don't miss

I retired at 45 this year and live comfortably of my investments.

Here's what I don't miss from working .

Hiring new staff and seeing the excitement in there eyes knowing after 2 years there going to hate this place more than me.

Firing staff because deep down I wish I was getting fired.

8 hour health and safety meetings.

Having a milinal office girl crying to you because she broke up with her boyfriend.
    Having a milinal Male assistant crying to you because he broke up with his boyfriend.

Doing my bosses job's.
    Doing my teams jobs.
    Re doing my teams jobs.
    Working late on Monday because half my team didn't show up.
    Working late on Friday because the other half of my team didn't show up.

Lying why this assistant got a xmas bonus.
    Lying why that assistant didn't get a xmas bonus.

Getting moaned at by a boss I only saw twice a year.

Property investing not only changed my life but probably saved it.
    Last edited by Jeffa; 04-09-2020, 02:13 AM. Reason: Freedom!

Originally posted by Jeffa View Post

Having a milinal office girl crying to you because she broke up with her boyfriend.
    Having a milinal Male assistant crying to you because he broke up with his boyfriend.
    Why is the word "male" capitalized?

www.3888444.co.nz
    Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by Keys View Post
      Why is the word "male" capitalized?
      I don't know I was writing this earlier this morning I'm surprised there aren't any more errors..why?

Comment

This bit is really interesting.

So, why did you have to lie?
        Why didn't you just tell them the Truth?

Comment

Originally posted by McDuck View Post
          This bit is really interesting.

So, why did you have to lie?
          Why didn't you just tell them the Truth?
          One was technically better but did less and at times no work...no bonus

One was slow and useless but did 15 to 20 hours per week of overtime to get more projects completed..2 extra weeks of wages I approved for his Xmas bonus

Comment

One was technically better but did less and at times no work...no bonus

One was slow and useless but did 15 to 20 hours per week of overtime to get more projects completed..2 extra weeks of wages I approved for his Xmas bonus

Ahhh I see.

So case 1 did 30 hours work?

And case two did 60 hours work?

Question.
            How were you able to calculate that case one did 30 hours work?

Comment

Ahhh I see.

So case 1 did 30 hours work?

And case two did 60 hours work?

Question.
              How were you able to calculate that case one did 30 hours work?
              I ended up doing the extra work.

"That's why I love property investing "

Comment

I ended up doing the extra work.

"That's why I love property investing "
                Yes, that's often the easier option.

But you still haven't answered the questions.

1) Why did you lie to them?

The truth would have much more valuable form of feedback.
                It could have improved their future performance.
                And reduced your workload.

2) How were you able to accurately calculate the amount of hours "Case 1" put in each week?

Comment

2) How were you able to accurately calculate the amount of hours "Case 1" put in each week?
                  1) Staff shortage

2)My grey hairs starting to show.

Comment

I should be a politician or work in mainstream media.

Comment

2)My grey hairs starting to show.
                      Haha.

That's a very unusual unit of measurement.

Well, if that's too hard, could you tell me:

1 ) What was the bonus meant to reward?

2) How many extra hours a week could that bonus actually buy?

<<example , say it was a 1000 dollar per year bonus,
                      then it could buy about half and hour extra work per week (in time) from that employee. >>

Comment

I retired at 45 this year and live comfortably of my investments.

Here's what I don't miss from working .

Hiring new staff and seeing the excitement in there eyes knowing after 2 years there going to hate this place more than me.

Firing staff because deep down I wish I was getting fired.

8 hour health and safety meetings.

Doing my bosses job's.
                        Doing my teams jobs.
                        Re doing my teams jobs.
                        Working late on Monday because half my team didn't show up.
                        Working late on Friday because the other half of my team didn't show up.

Getting moaned at by a boss I only saw twice a year.

Property investing not only changed my life but probably saved it.

Congrats on generating enough passive income from investments to retire at 45 Jeffa. Well done.

Are the investments all or mostly property or are you more diversified?

Are you still carrying some debt?

While i celebrate your achievement unfortunately the vast majority of New Zealanders will simply hate you.

In New Zealand we should all be equally poor because that's "fair".

By one account the typical (median) person in the top 1% is worth $6.2m. In contrast, the typical New Zealander is worth $92,000. [Statistics NZ]

Comment

Originally posted by Sanya View Post
                          Congrats on generating enough passive income from investments to retire at 45 Jeffa. Well done.

Are the investments all or mostly property or are you more diversified?

Are you still carrying some debt?

While i celebrate your achievement unfortunately the vast majority of New Zealanders will simply hate you.

In New Zealand we should all be equally poor because that's "fair".

By one account the typical (median) person in the top 1% is worth $7m. In contrast, the typical New Zealander is worth $92,000. [Statistics NZ]
                          Thanks Sanya

My debt is relatively low I keep trying to get more I don't pay it off, my properties have appreciated well.

I'm diversified with property across NZ and shares around the world.

I have U.S dollars off shore and trade currencies

I have lines of credits with all the main banks 50 to 100k each...which for some reason I never use.

I have positive cashflow property which pays off my airpoints creditcard,mortgages and everything else in full every month.

My wife works only because she loves being a Nurse..she doesn't go on strike.

I don't annalise my net worth anymore but it's well above 7 million .

I don't tell friends and family how much I'm worth because I come from a staunch Union and Labour background...and I don't usually vote.

I have 2 young adult children, I don't tell them this but unless I do something stupid they will probably never have to ever worry about money ever again after l die.

If I'm wrong ,selfish, greedy....then it is what it is.

Comment

Managing poor or patchy staff performance is hard, time consuming and stressful, especially alongside the busy day job. Needs perfect record keeping in case a PG is lodged. Double that if the company doesn't have quality management support and HR expertise.

I would never blame a boss for avoiding that path.

About those young adult children, have you considered helping them along with Kiwisaver and possibly also gifting them some deposit to hop on the ladder if they are interested? Like now, rather than in a few decades?

Comment

Originally posted by artemis View Post
                              Managing poor or patchy staff performance is hard, time consuming and stressful, especially alongside the busy day job. Needs perfect record keeping in case a PG is lodged. Double that if the company doesn't have quality management support and HR expertise.

I would never blame a boss for avoiding that path.
                              I agree, it's difficult.
                              But then again, everything seems difficult, if you don't have the correct training and natural disposition to do it.
                              Mostly the correct training.

We hear of a workplace with:
                              Low staff motivation.
                              High absenteeism.
                              Mass disorganization.
                              An ineffective bonus system.
                              One worker who is technically very good.
                              Another worker who is willing to put in long hours to get the job done.
                              And a junior manager who is very motivated and talented, but in a slightly unorthodox way.

Those all seem like the ingredients for an interesting, successful profitable workplace.
                              but sadly, what Jeffa has described here, is the state of most NZ companies.

The fixes would be rather easy, for the right person.
                              but you'd have to look at the company as a whole ,
                              Just to make sure there wasn't some big unmentioned thing,
                              That made it nonviable.

The embedded culture of dishonesty is the most worrying.
                              How will you ever know where you are, if half the information is deliberately wrong or missing.?

Tisk tisk, trust is key.

And how can landlords charge more rent if, this level of managerial incompetence stops the tenants earning more money!
                              Last edited by McDuck; 05-09-2020, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X