Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many landlords are willing to accept dogs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many landlords are willing to accept dogs?

I have a rental advertised currently and have indicated 'pets are negotiable' . Generally as a rule of thumb I am fine with 1 or 2 cats but have found with experience over the years dogs can be quite a problem despite what their owners may inform you how very nice their doggie is.

"Does it bark when you go out?". "Not that we know of " comes the standard reply. Based on that premise and a couple of others you warrant acceptance and write into the tenancy agreement conditions that apply. Right after they move in, the neighbours are ringing you to let you know the dog is barking all day long while your new tenants are at work. Uhmm?

What I am finding now is that over half the applicants to my newly listed rental are doggie owners.

I'm interested to know two things from other landlords reading this 'Have you noticed a large increase in tenants with dogs in their applications' and 'Would you accept dogs into your rentals and if so have you had issues? `

The property has to be suitable for a dog.
    Does it have a fenced exclusive use outside area for the dog?
    Best tenants I've had have a dog.
    Worst have been solo Mums - Much more property damage than tenants with a dog.
    The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

Yes this property currently advertised does have a fenced off back section. However my main concern is barking when the tenants are absent as I've experienced this in the past with another tenant who is currently trying to resolve that problem.

Comment

The problem is you can't get rid of them if they and the dog damage the house or drive the neighbours barmey.
        Best to just to say no. Next applicant.
        The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

Never had any issues with Dogs at the Properties I manage.
          I meet the Dog and talk to the Owners follow up with current Landlord to check whether there's been any issues. The consult with my Owners most have Pets of their own.
          Kaye
          www.streetsaheadpm.co.nz

Comment

Absolutely not

Comment

Why add a potential headache when you don't need to? No pets at all for me. One had a "very well behaved dog", the place was furnished. This dog pulled out part of a loop pile carpet about a metre long. Because the place was furnished they placed a mat over it when they vacated. "Oh we meant to let you know and we forgot".
              Cats are a no no now too. Different cats: Sharpened claws on the carpet pulling it all up where it came in through the cat door. Jumped up kitchen cupboards scratching them and peed in the corner of the dining room under a table lifting up the lino. Peed in the garage on the garage carpet.
              Pet free tenant = one less concern.

Comment

No more dogs for me after deep scratch marks in brand new doors/door frames where the dog clearly was scratching to get into closed rooms. They were otherwise good tenants but I find generally that tenants just couldn't care less about such things. No support from the PM either to get compensation for the damage, saying it was just wear and tear.

Although I've had no bad experiences with cats, I won't allow them either.

Comment

There was talk of LLs having to allow tenants to have pets. I know some states of Australia have it

Wouldn't surprise me if it comes in soon here.

We've allowed pets (before renovating properties).

cheers,

Donna
                  Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

The dog is missing their contact when they are absent. The human needs to understand that. Simple.

Comment

Yes. We've seen more potential tenants with dogs in recent times. Pets are popular with kiwi families and I was surprised the recent RTA amendments did not force landlords to accept pets. That may happen in Labour's next term.

For properties which will be due for a refresh in a couple of years (i.e. new carpet, vinyl, paint, curtains) I will consider a family with a dog.

For newly refreshed properties a no pets policy applies.

Comment

The other problem when allowing dogs is if it is a 2 house rental property, it can be unfair to the other tenant where there is a
                        no dogs policy in place. I'm still fielding lots of enquiries for dogs, currently 1 out of 2 enquiries is asking me if I'm OK with a dog or dogs.
                        It seems the number of tenants that own dogs has increased substantially over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsaneperson View Post
                          The other problem when allowing dogs is if it is a 2 house rental property, it can be unfair to the other tenant where there is a
                          no dogs policy in place. I'm still fielding lots of enquiries for dogs, currently 1 out of 2 enquiries is asking me if I'm OK with a dog or dogs.
                          It seems the number of tenants that own dogs has increased substantially over the years.
                          Not from North Korea by any chance?
                          Sorry.
                          Couldn't resist.

Comment

I have tried with the property which could use a spruce up. 2 tenants. 2 dogs. Never again. Cats are fine with me though

Comment

Originally posted by AlFa View Post
                              I have tried with the property which could use a spruce up. 2 tenants. 2 dogs. Never again. Cats are fine with me though
                              Lol, love it..

Comment

Working...
                              X