Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excel sheet - Cashflow

Probably a question for an accountant.

Im looking at establishing our cashflow position from a weekly standpoint. I am increasing my portfolio and its time to tighten up the numbers and weekly cashflow numbers.

Im looking for a simple spreadsheet where I can add multiple properties, add in rates, insurance, maintenance, accountancy fees etc..

Does anyone have a good spreadsheet to show weekly cashflow positive/negative for each property? Also does it have a total cashflow figure adding all the cashflow across the portfolio.

Much appreciated if you could share one with me.

FH
    "DEBT BECOMES IRRELEVANT WITH INFLATION".

If you have Excel 10 or later Version it has specific tutorials and walk-throughs for exactly what you are after.

Apparently they are excellent (pardon the pun).

Give that a go.

Comment

Originally posted by Frezzinghot View Post
      Probably a question for an accountant.

Im looking at establishing our cashflow position from a weekly standpoint. I am increasing my portfolio and its time to tighten up the numbers and weekly cashflow numbers.

Im looking for a simple spreadsheet where I can add multiple properties, add in rates, insurance, maintenance, accountancy fees etc..

Does anyone have a good spreadsheet to show weekly cashflow positive/negative for each property? Also does it have a total cashflow figure adding all the cashflow across the portfolio.

Much appreciated if you could share one with me.

FH
      I like XL.

Do you know anything about it?

Did you remember learning about matrices at school, you should have been about 14 years old.?

XL uses that idea.

It's just a grid.

Rows and Columns.

Columns go up and down, like the columns out front of most Greek styled buildings.

Rows go across, like rows of chairs in a movie theater.
      (I can till see my old formidable math teacher ( J.D.) standing in front of the blackboard , chalk in hand, saying these exact words,).

(You can squeeze the most data out of your numbers by breaking down each thing into very small steps.
      This will let you find and correct errors quickly.
      And let you go back and mine useful data, that you never knew you needed at the start).

So, now, for example, you might change the TITLE of column A to " incoming rent from first apartment 2020".

You might change the TITLE of the first row to "week 1 January 2020".

You might call Column B " total incoming rent for apartment 1 2020.

At that point you would need to write a LITTLE EQUATION into the column B.

It would have to be an ADDITION.

something like.

1A+2A

I haven't looked at XL for ages, so it might be totally accurate, but you get the idea.
      You should get a running total of how much your tenant has paid up to that point

The good thing about XL is that it notices a PATTERN.
      So you just have to put an addition into the first week of January, and it will keep doing that for every month.

Now you can just build on that.

So column C can be "Rates for first apartment".

and column D can be "rates for first apartment divided by 52".

and column E can be column A minus column D, call it " first apartment profit after rates".

You can pretty much include a very fine level of detail.

Probably best to read an XL tutorial and play with some simple figures first.

Maybe spend a day experimenting with a single months figures for just one property.

Just to get the feel for it.

That way you won't waste hours entering data, only to find out you can reduce or have missed out on the number of practical columns.

It really is an incredibly useful and powerful tool.

You will find that the days you loose in learning the spreadsheet will quickly pay off and keep paying off.

There's nothing to stop you making a separate sheet for each property, and taking the totals from those to make a total portfolio sheet.

That way you get the BIG picture and the SMALL detail.

The possibilities are endless.
      Last edited by McDuck; 19-08-2020, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by McDuck View Post
        I like XL.

Do you know anything about it?

Did you remember learning about matrices at school, you should have been about 14 years old.?

XL uses that idea.

It's just a grid.

Rows and Columns.

Columns go up and down, like the columns out front of most Greek styled buildings.

Rows go across, like rows of chairs in a movie theater.
        (I can till see my old formidable math teacher ( J.D.) standing in front of the blackboard , chalk in hand, saying these exact words,).

(You can squeeze the most data out of your numbers by breaking down each thing into very small steps.
        This will let you find and correct errors quickly.
        And let you go back and mine useful data, that you never knew you needed at the start).

So, now, for example, you might change the TITLE of column A to " incoming rent from first apartment 2020".

You might change the TITLE of the first row to "week 1 January 2020".

You might call Column B " total incoming rent for apartment 1 2020.

At that point you would need to write a LITTLE EQUATION into the column B.

It would have to be an ADDITION.

something like.

1A+2A

I haven't looked at XL for ages, so it might be totally accurate, but you get the idea.
        You should get a running total of how much your tenant has paid up to that point

The good thing about XL is that it notices a PATTERN.
        So you just have to put an addition into the first week of January, and it will keep doing that for every month.

Now you can just build on that.

So column C can be "Rates for first apartment".

and column D can be "rates for first apartment divided by 52".

and column E can be column A minus column D, call it " first apartment profit after rates".

You can pretty much include a very fine level of detail.

Probably best to read an XL tutorial and play with some simple figures first.

Maybe spend a day experimenting with a single months figures for just one property.

Just to get the feel for it.

That way you won't waste hours entering data, only to find out you can reduce or have missed out on the number of practical columns.

It really is an incredibly useful and powerful tool.

You will find that the days you loose in learning the spreadsheet will quickly pay off and keep paying off.

There's nothing to stop you making a separate sheet for each property, and taking the totals from those to make a total portfolio sheet.

That way you get the BIG picture and the SMALL detail.

The possibilities are endless.
        Thanks for the 101 education on XL, I ended up buying a template which had all the formulas done, its great, just don't have time to learn XL but will have fun filling it in with our current portfolio.

Comment

Whew, just so simple with a Template after all that 101 for Learners. I got tired just taking a glimpse of the response. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by erinak View Post
            Whew, just so simple with a Template after all that 101 for Learners. I got tired just taking a glimpse of the response. Sorry.
            Ha.
            That's alright.

I'd make a terrible teacher.
            Too much information too quickly.

I fully appreciate the quick results type thinking that the pragmatic person values.
            "I don't care what it is, or how it works, just gimme it, and let me get on with it".
            Brilliant, I really love pragmatic thinkers.

From a enthusiasts point of view..
            With a days practice, and a few you tube tutorials, you should be able to bend XL in any way.
            You could use it to figure out how much sugar, milk and coffee to put in each cup , if you were running a cafe, for example.
            You can even put pictures in the cells.

I got one of those chilling realizations, when first using it.
            With this tool, and enough patience, you could build a whole universe and get to decide the rules of how it worked.
            It's really a way for the man on the street to access the power of a micro processor, with a very simple interface.

but , yes, meh!
            Who's gonna learn how to bake bread, when you can get the sliced stuff from the dairy!
            Last edited by McDuck; 20-08-2020, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by McDuck View Post
              Ha.

but , yes, meh!
              Who's gonna learn how to bake bread, when you can get the sliced stuff from the dairy!
              Nothing beats actually understanding your data and how things are put together. The ability to review each "ingredient" and know how it affects the end product is important.

I build my own spreadsheets also so that I can cross-check each formula and have confidence. Now that I am doing development projects, I have the ability to understand the impacts of a variety of models.

"First you add knowledge".

My thoughts only!

Comment

Originally posted by Frezzinghot View Post
                Thanks for the 101 education on XL, I ended up buying a template which had all the formulas done, its great, just don't have time to learn XL but will have fun filling it in with our current portfolio.
                What did you buy? Do you mind sharing a link to it?

I am having something built for me but it's taking too long and costing too much.

Cheers

Comment

landlords templates

Comment

Yes, a colleague uses that too and he is very happy not to have to work how it gets there, but the result.

I guess it's a matter of time to do it yourself/have it explained or trust the figure work of the math!

Choice and time I guess.

All the best.

Comment

Yes, it just gives you a better overall picture of you income/expenses and spits out a summary page for all your rental properties, when I did mine recently I was quite surprised by which properties were doing better than others. I needed to see the overall Total expenses and profit/loss position to decide what the next property needed to be. My overall goal is to replace my income from cashflow so seeing all the properties across one summary page helps me see where I'm at cashflow wise and to see how close I am to my passive income goal.

FH

Comment

It's amazing how much a rental here and a rental there add up to so much on the bottom line .

Comment

I’m glad I have this spreadsheet now and am starting to see the benefit of having a birds of view of your portfolio especially as you get towards a double digit target of properties, it really shows which properties are outperforming the others.

Comment

Working...
                          X