Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planning additional partition/wall (fixed or retractable) - suggestions please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning additional partition/wall (fixed or retractable) - suggestions please?

Hi all,

I am moving into my own (newly built) house soon, and would like to have two additional walls/partitions in it in future.
    One would be a retractable/sliding partition to separate my open plan kitchen+dining from the lounge.
    Another would be a fixed wall with a door in middle, to separate out two bedroom on the rear side of house.
    To see floor plan with intended walls/partition highlighted, click https://www115.zippyshare.com/i/UicgZopo/49996/xyz.jpg

I have been told by two builders that I don't need a council consent for any of these walls, but my solicitor advised to get a consent for any changes in the house which is a deviation from the floor plan.

Please advise on-
    1. Consent requirements of such walls/partitions and complications involved
    2. how it may affect Master Build Guarantee which is provided with the new house?
    3. Any recommendation on some new type of walls/partitions that may be better

Thanks a ton!
    Keep well and safe
    Last edited by dothers; 16-08-2020, 07:16 PM.

We used a panel glide to provide separation between kitchen and dining/living similar to what you want to do. I wasn't sure I'd like open-plan and while it got used a couple of times when we were entertaining guests it turned out to be a great selling gimmick when we sold 3 years later.

Comment

Originally posted by MargVan View Post
      We used a panel glide to provide separation between kitchen and dining/living similar to what you want to do. I wasn't sure I'd like open-plan and while it got used a couple of times when we were entertaining guests it turned out to be a great selling gimmick when we sold 3 years later.
      Thanks. Can you share the business name or website where you got the glide panel from?
      Did you also explore a more solid option for a wall (alternate to fixed timber wall) which are stronger than gliding/retractable ones, but can be added/removed when required without a mess? I saw some lego-style block options on internet.

Comment

We got our panel guide from Simon Aing at Concept Blinds & Shutters. We built a false wall between the kitchen and living area with a narrow 'door' on it accessed by a magnetic push catch so the guide was hidden completely when stacked away. The only stronger solution we considered was a shoji style screen but that would have taken up more space for stacking away.

Comment

the floor plan is staying the same, why give the council a couple of grand for nothing

Comment

I agree wuth JimO and change your lawyer,..... what other crap building advice is he giving you?

Read schedule 1 for yourself and send him a copy.

Comment

Originally posted by jimO View Post
              the floor plan is staying the same, why give the council a couple of grand for nothing
              I had the same thought. But Council matters/rules sound complicated (to a layman like me), and I prefer peace of mind by following the rules.

Comment

Originally posted by John the builder View Post
                I agree wuth JimO and change your lawyer,..... what other crap building advice is he giving you?

Read schedule 1 for yourself and send him a copy.
                http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/p...LM5770963.html
                Thanks for sharing that link! Very informative.

Can you please share link of rules around Kitchenette or outdoor kitchen?
                I am going to consult an Architect/Builder about possible legal options of having a Kitchenette for the two bedroom area (bedroom #2 and #3 - floor plan link below).

So it will be good to have a read of the rules and have a bit of understanding before going to the Pros.
                Last edited by dothers; 27-08-2020, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X