Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ground moisture barrier installation

Hello all,

I need to get this done to be compliant with the new standard, I got 2 quotes one is from a company and one is from a guy who did some work for me. The company quoted more than twice as much as the guy, I am curious if this job requires any certification to perform? I know I have to use 250 micron thick polythene sheets for the job.

Cheers
    James

I see in some countries you can get recycled 250 micron thick polythene - not sure if you can get it here.

Haven't you got over a year to do the install before you need to be compliant? I thought it was Dec '21 but it might be July '21.

How much have you been quoted for the install? What's the footprint to be covered?

cheers,

Donna
    Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Originally posted by donna View Post
      I see in some countries you can get recycled 250 micron thick polythene - not sure if you can get it here.

Haven't you got over a year to do the install before you need to be compliant? I thought it was Dec '21 but it might be July '21.

How much have you been quoted for the install? What's the footprint to be covered?

cheers,

Donna
      Yes got a year to do it, the company quoted $1300 and the guy quoted $600. Footprint is 80sqm. I checked the DIY kit for 80sqm is about $170 for the polythene sheet.

Comment

If one pokes a few more holes in the wall - is the space no longer "enclosed"?
        The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

Originally posted by semaj_nil View Post
          Hello all,

I need to get this done to be compliant with the new standard, I got 2 quotes one is from a company and one is from a guy who did some work for me. The company quoted more than twice as much as the guy, I am curious if this job requires any certification to perform? I know I have to use 250 micron thick polythene sheets for the job.

Cheers
          James
          Well the other option is wait and see what happens at the coming election in September. Theirs a reasonable likelihood that this ill thought out legislation may be overturned by a non Labour led government.
          For me and many other landlords Im sure much of this legislation is ridiculous an ill thought out and ends up pinging the tenant with costs the landlord factors in too any rent increases.
          Why have a ground sheet barrier where the ground underneath is exceptionally dry ? Just an unneeded expense that will benefit no one if theirs no rising damp from wet ground.

Comment

I do not think the current National Party stands a chance in the upcoming election.

Comment

I do not think the current National Party stands a chance in the upcoming election.
              Sadly... it's almost like they are intentionally digging their own grave

Comment

who can blame them, cindy can fix her own mess

Comment

What's ridiculous is the PVC moisture barrier that's available here in NZ is so non-environmentally friendly and yet this stupid requirement has come in whilst the Greens are part of Govt.

Comment

The following cost me $450 + GST for installation in late 2018:

POLYTHENE FILM 250MICRON 2M X 50M 100M2

Comment

^^ so now there's a 300 percent increase.

Comment

If you've got reasonably good access under the house it's very easy to install and does make a big difference. Even dry looking ground under the house will emit moisture. The house we did it on had awful access but it was worth it and made a difference in terms of eliminating a damp musty odour and anecdotally making the house feel warmer on cold mornings.

I'd take the cheapest quote!

Comment

If you are thinking about relying on the Nats. forget it. They never ever repeal anything Labour does. They are just as useless.

Comment

Originally posted by Viking View Post
                            If you are thinking about relying on the Nats. forget it. They never ever repeal anything Labour does. They are just as useless.
                            +1 on that!
                            The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

Doing it myself

I am currently doing 2x properties myself, material from memory I paid about $100 for a 100sqm roll, but then add a bit for cloth tape or similar you will need a lot. Decent instructions easily available online, but its a sh!t of a job, for most people paying the price to avoid the awkwardness and dust would probably be worth it. Hopefully your quotes were after they had viewed the job and allowed for having to move around any junk under there?

Comment

Working...
                              X