Healthy Homes Evaluation Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Healthy Homes Evaluation Report

Property Manager wants me to get the following report.
    Am I expecting too much to get this kind of advice direct from property manager?
    Is this Meth testing all over again?
    Will it lead to a long list fix ups?

Healthy Homes Evaluation Report

$250.00
    The healthy homes standards introduce specific and minimum standards for heating, insulation, ventilation, moisture and drainage, and draught stopping in rental properties.
    A Healthy Homes Evaluation Report will provide you with comprehensive detail on all minimum standard requirements and highlight to you any areas that are non-compliant. If any non-compliant issues are discovered the report will provide easy solutions to achieve compliance and once all the issues have been addressed, we will issue you with a Certificate of Compliance for your records.
    As an added value, PropertySafe will also highlight any other high-risk life-threatening safety issues if present as part of the report for your consideration.

Description
    What does the Healthy Homes standard require?
    The Healthy Homes standards includes 5 categories that must be met:
    Insulation:
    The minimum level of ceiling and underfloor insulation must either meet the 2008 Building Code, or (for existing ceiling insulation) have a minimum thickness of 120mm and be in reasonable condition with no dampness, damage or displacement.
    Ventilation & Extraction:
    Ventilation must include openable windows in each habitable space. The windows must comprise at least 5% of the floor area of that space. An appropriately sized extraction fan or rangehood must be installed in rooms with a bath or shower or indoor cooktop.
    Heating:
    The main living room must have a fixed heating device that can heat the room to at least 18?C. The new regulations clarify the requirements for heating devices ? some will not meet the requirements under the heating standard as they are inefficient, unaffordable or unhealthy.
    Draught Stopping:
    Any gaps or holes in walls, ceilings, windows, floors and doors that cause unreasonable draughts must be remedied. This includes all unused open fireplaces and chimneys.
    Moisture Ingress and drainage:
    The standards reinforce the existing law which states that landlords must have adequate drainage and guttering. If a rental property has an enclosed subfloor space, it must have an on-ground moisture barrier, which will stop moisture rising into the home.

HermanZ

I did my own for my owners at no charge just did it when I was at the Property during a routine inspection.
    Kaye
    www.streetsaheadpm.co.nz

Comment

What in the list you posted can your PM not identify on a normal inspection?

No need for a formal report from a 3rd party.

Comment

A cross between a scam and opportunism.

Comment

The insulation measurement would have already been done unless the rental is new to the market.

On a side note two requirements really get me annoyed.....

1. the lack of specificity on when a 'room' needs an extractor fan for an indoor cooktop e.g. if the room is open plan like so many homes are now - what use is a small extractor fan? Zero use at all. We have a rental with the cooktop right next to a window that has a safety latch on so it's mostly left slightly open. The room is also open plan with cathedral ceiling so a small extractor fan really will be a waste of time - we'd just put it in the window that's always ajar. Plus bathrooms with shower-domes should not need extractor fans.

2. The moisture barrier - really? I can not think of a more un-environmentally friendly requirement, as the barrier is thick PVC (umm how many years will that take to breakdown). Insisting tens of thousands of homes need this piece of plastic is just a joke - even more so when the rule was decided with Greens as a coalition partner. PLUS when your property is on a sand base - there is no moisture rising as sand disperses the water quickly. Putting the thick PVC down on sand is more likely to 'hold' water on it - it may come off a deck and end up on the plastic and do a lot more damage and will the Government pay for it? Surely they will - as it's their rule.

cheers,

Donna
          Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Ha I was sent that sales pitch for PropertySafe today. I wonder how many LLs are falling for it!

I asked the PM about the fans and was told

The fans need to be installed by December 2021, any new tenancy agreements after December 2020 will have to have a healthy homes statement.
            So apart from the insulation that has an R rating how hard is it to say - yes or no to fans, and moisture barrier? Why would you need PropertySafe to do that for you. The PMs must be getting referral fees.

cheers,

Donna
            Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Working...
            X