• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 18 of 18
  1. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PC View Post
    Power company bills direct.
    Phone company bills direct.
    Every other service I can think of - bills direct.
    But water - huh - why not???
    Just more insane Government/Council stupidity we have to battle against.
    I don’t see it as “Council stupidity” charging LL for tenant’s expenses. It’s actually clever holding LL to ransom.

    Councils in other countries provide services that get charged to households (the consumer) including rubbish collection and services for public facilities.

  2. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by donna View Post
    Maybe it's time to use a PM to manage and then the responsibility is on them to do the collecting. For the small management fee it works out cheaper if you consider the time it takes you to manage etc. Unless of course your time is free!

    cheers,

    Donna

    My main occupation is landlord so I'm doing it myself as since starting Ive acquired 12 rentals over the course of 30 years..But yes certainly if i had a fuller occupation then a PM would be a consideration. Though tbh i know myself that NO property manager would be looking after my best interests as much as what i am currently doing, particularly situations that are urgent or need to be dealt with in a timely manner regards leaks or maintenance. From reading here and general observations, the majority of PMs are very poor and this includes many of the ones attached to supposedly reputable firms . Perhaps you may have got a good one either that or just a good tenant in which case you could quite easily do it yourself and save the usual 8% + gst fee they charge on the rent, as you will still have to be actively involved regarding quotations for trades people which i understand they add on 10% to quotations. Probably around $3k minimum over a year - could have a nice holiday for that..

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,723

    Default

    Not a solution to your underlying problem, but something that may help you with administration - perhaps a lot.

    Watercare offers the ability to pay the fixed charges upfront once per year, meaning that you then get the bill for the volumetric charges only. No need to split the bill anymore, just forward the whole thing to the tenant. If they pay watercare direct, you end up paying less in your next credit card payment, and it's easy to see what happened. You keep a track of how much you've been charged on your credit card, versus how much the tenants have paid you, and it's a much simpler ledger.
    CLIENT LIST FULL - Waitlist Available: [email protected]
    AAT Accounting Services - Property Specialist - AATAccounting.co.nz
    Lower fees for investors, traders & real estate agents!

  4. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthonyacat View Post
    Not a solution to your underlying problem, but something that may help you with administration - perhaps a lot.

    Watercare offers the ability to pay the fixed charges upfront once per year, meaning that you then get the bill for the volumetric charges only. No need to split the bill anymore, just forward the whole thing to the tenant. If they pay watercare direct, you end up paying less in your next credit card payment, and it's easy to see what happened. You keep a track of how much you've been charged on your credit card, versus how much the tenants have paid you, and it's a much simpler ledger.

    Good point and this is what one of my new tenants did do as his prior landlord had him paying direct to Watercare. As long as the landlord pays up front the fixed fee its easy to see what is going on and youre right the admin angle is taken out of it. Might consider that for any new tenants.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    7,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by klauster View Post
    I don’t see it as “Council stupidity” charging LL for tenant’s expenses. It’s actually clever holding LL to ransom.

    Councils in other countries provide services that get charged to households (the consumer) including rubbish collection and services for public facilities.
    And in the UK the consumer pays 'council tax' i.e. the resident in the dwelling - not the LL. Our rates is their council tax another smart move to user pays.

    cheers,

    Donna
    PropertyTalk Blog - property articles - About PropertyTalk

    BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here



  6. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    2,031

    Default

    Chasing after tenants to pay water bills takes time.
    What fee can be charged to the tenants for this service?
    $150ph + GST sounds fair.
    The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

  7. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PC View Post
    Chasing after tenants to pay water bills takes time.
    What fee can be charged to the tenants for this service?
    $150ph + GST sounds fair.
    Yes indeed wonder if their is provision in the RTA too do just that? Perhaps adding the proviso to a tenancy agreement. Though i suspect not as the same would apply to rent arrears.

  8. #18

    Default

    Incidentally how many landlords here are paying up front the watercare fixed fee for a year and getting their tenants to pay direct to watercare?

    Is it working well for you?


 

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Paying Bills Customs
    By Perry in forum Property Investment (NZ)
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-12-2018, 11:25 PM
  2. Tired of paying tenants water bill
    By SwissTony in forum Tenant Stuff (NZ)
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 03-11-2013, 11:42 AM
  3. What are Auck land lords doing to pass on tenants water usage bills?
    By friendly_prawn in forum Tenant Stuff (NZ)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 30-01-2013, 11:46 AM
  4. New Monthly Water Bills have to be WRONG!!!! 4x more???
    By Property-Manager-Auckland in forum General (NZ)
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-09-2012, 06:09 PM
  5. Landlords paying for tenants' water?!
    By Auckland PIA in forum Property Investment (NZ)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-08-2012, 02:05 AM
  6. Landlords paying for tenants' water?!
    By Auckland PIA in forum Property Investor Associations (NZ)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24-07-2012, 09:25 PM
  7. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-08-2011, 12:32 PM
  8. 'Water bills to double'
    By muppet in forum Property Investment (Oz)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-03-2008, 07:27 PM
  9. Landlords advised they should leave water bills to tenants
    By muppet in forum Property Investment (NZ)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-06-2006, 09:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •