Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Load Bearing wall opening

Hi guys,

Just want to check here before we go through a process of getting a builder/engineer to look at this. We are looking at extending the opening in a load bearing wall (between kitchen and lounge), current opening is 750mm and we would like to double that opening and make it 1500mm.

Do we need a consent for this? I understand if want to remove load bearing wall we require one, or if we want to add an opening we would need one, but do we need one to increase the opening gap?

Thanks.
    Last edited by donna; 16-05-2020, 12:47 PM.

yes you do

Comment

You do for changing any structural wall. Some guidance on what you can do without consent here:

You could have an engineer design it but for that span with a timber frame building a designer alone should be able to handle putting together a consent application for council.

Comment

only if load bearing but is this a single level building and how do you know it is loadbearing?

Comment

How does one find out if a wall is load bearing or not? Generally I suspect their is a structural beam going right across that is plainly visible. Rooms such as bedrooms etc that are partitioned normally would not be load bearing?

Comment

Originally posted by mrsaneperson View Post
            How does one find out if a wall is load bearing or not? Generally I suspect their is a structural beam going right across that is plainly visible. Rooms such as bedrooms etc that are partitioned normally would not be load bearing?
            you need to understand where the roof loads are being supported? If there is a trussed roof then there are no loads on the internal walls. More traditional framing is harder to determine and sometimes a roof strut is placed on a wall that doesn't need to be there but technically makes the wall load bearing? It is possible that a beam supports a ceiling

A lower storey is a different matter as there may be floor loads from the level above.

Comment

In one situation I've encountered, a window in the wall of an internal bedroom of the lower storey in a 2 storey house. If the window was replaced with a door, is their a support bar needed and what if any load bearing considerations need to be considered?

Comment

Originally posted by mrsaneperson View Post
                In one situation I've encountered, a window in the wall of an internal bedroom of the lower storey in a 2 storey house. If the window was replaced with a door, is their a support bar needed and what if any load bearing considerations need to be considered?

building work in association with a door to external wall is exempt under schedule 1 (either new or reused)

It is a given that a window needs structural consideration and a lintel likely except if a door in the same hole as a window then this will be already present?

Comment

Yes so in this case the window is in an internal bedroom wall, and the plan is to replace the window with a door of the same width but length extended down to the concrete floor.
                  The internal bedroom wall faces into an internal garage.
                  I'm thinking I wouldn't need any support bar for the door or any type of flashings which are generally only needed for weather outdoor situations.

Comment

Working...
                  X