• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by donna View Post
    I am surprised how many buyers accept defective titles.
    Donna
    Yeah, a lot of people in hype markets just give all their rights away. Nuts.

We did this sale by the book, that's partly why it pisses me off. I am a little annoyed at the quality of building inspection, ie not opening and closing doors, and making exscuse not to check under house ie foundations just because owners had a few things in the way which were easily moveable.

We spent a shed load on conveyancing as well.

I just cant figure out why it has gone out of shape so easily. It is a zig zag shape, so each zig zag must have its own set of pilings. That is the end that has all the cracks. The end that is highest off the ground, the front half of the house, no issues at all. 14 cracks, 2x1mm the rest are hairline and likely will work with just a roll of paint.

I am interested in this elastic type paint John raised, as a primer for consistently reoccurring cracks. then use the paint we have they left.

How a kitchen pantry drops 6mm off the roof is crazy. Do I fill this with some kind of elastic/silicone then paint it? What happens if it moves back again.

The neighbours non native tree is huge, is also over our fence line. Is there any course for saying it is causing our foundations to dry up and have the eye sore lopped and stump burnt etc?
    Last edited by OnTheMove; 15-05-2020 at 10:23 PM.

consulted with an ultra honest and very knowledgeable Leveling expert, they believe it to be seasonal.

they have suggested structural engineer to assess (if I want a permanent fix I think)

anyone know how much it costs for structural engineer to assess your foundations?
    Last edited by OnTheMove; 16-05-2020 at 06:08 PM.

I have a plaster-clad house so have same sort of issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheMove View Post
    Not sure what to use outside silicone that is designed to be painted?
    I use Sikaflex MS and then elastomeric paint over the top as John said, works fine
    For internal cracks if serious enough use the glass mesh tape then 1-3 coats skim coated over depending on size of crack and how much I stuff it up (I am DIY not a pro!)

Quote Originally Posted by simongu View Post
    I have a plaster-clad house so have same sort of issues.
    I use Sikaflex MS and then elastomeric paint over the top as John said, works fine
    For internal cracks if serious enough use the glass mesh tape then 1-3 coats skim coated over depending on size of crack and how much I stuff it up (I am DIY not a pro!)
    what was your worst crack? Ive been told 1mm crack is nothing and 5mm movement is not subsidence, don't quote me on that.

So out of the 14 cracks only 2 were not hairline and about 1mm each. All 12 hairlines are running along gib joins on roof or walls. Only 1 has continued to move and I suspect this is due to not using paint suitable for humid areas, ie the bathroom, despite extractors and hrv you still get a fine coat on the walls from hot water showers.

Polycell is another good product.

There is also a spray on product for plaster, I forget its name.

It seems even 100 year old houses are subject to settling in, which sounds crazy, but true, but this is not the same as the damage caused by actual subsidence which can be great, as in and inch to inches wide not mm.

Ive learnt all sorts of tricks in my journey last couple weeks, like how to deal with gib tape bubbles.

There is an awesome plasterer on youtube. If I remember I will post.

There is not a plaster house in all of NZ without a single crack, something like that, I was told.

I am going to go with Johns advice too. There is a huge range of resense resitex coatings.

Quote Originally Posted by OnTheMove View Post
    what was your worst crack? Ive been told 1mm crack is nothing and 5mm movement is not subsidence, don't quote me on that.
    Well, within the context of small / hairline cracks some of them run about 5m across the full width of the room along the joins as you said above

Thread Information