• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Perry View Post
    And extrapolate it.

Tenants vote for the socio- [promise of something for nothing, so long as you vote for us] commies.

LLs don't
    Look the right of centre party, National promise all sorts of goodies too. So the 'righties' vote for free stuff too.

And National certainly never roll back any of Labour's largesse when they get into power either.
    Squadly dinky do!

Yes. You're right.

But I remain of the view that few LLs would vote for the socio-commies.
    Want a great looking concrete swimming pool in Hawke's Bay? Designer Pools will do the job for you!

Yes. You're right.

But I remain of the view that few LLs would vote for the socio-commies.
    Yes I agree. I haven't voted for either of the 2 main parties for 10 years, but I would vote National this year on this issue alone.
    Squadly dinky do!

Megan Woods emailed all landlords and tenants on March 27th advising that all non-essential parliamentary business was to be suspended, including all business currently before select committees. This included the RTA amendment bill.

Fast forward to today, and an email went out asking when people wanted to be contacted to give their oral submission!

There seems to be a push on to get "unpopular" legislation through right now. Another bill (unrelated to property, just mentioning to highlight this is not an isolated case) around giving voting rights to prisoners is also being pushed hard by Andrew Little.

-----
    Date: 7 April 2020
    To:
    Subject: Residential Tenancies Amendment Bill
    Social Services and Community Committee
    Residential Tenancies Amendment Bill
    Dear Submitter
    The email below was sent on Friday 3 April. Committee staff are aware that it may have gone to some submitters' spam folders. Please respond as instructed below as soon as possible.
    Kia ora,
    Thank you for your submission on this bill. We have passed on electronic copies to members of the committee.
    Making an oral submission
    If you requested to make a submission but no longer wish to do so then please let us know as soon as possible and before midnight on 8 April.
    If you would like to speak to the committee about your submission:
    Due to Covid-19 restrictions, the committee will hear from submitters using a platform called Zoom which offers videoconferencing and teleconference facilities. Individuals will be given a 5 minute time slot and organisations will be given 15 minutes.
    Hearings will take place on the following dates from 9.00am to 12.30pm:
    • Wednesday 15 April
    • Friday 17 April
    • Wednesday 22 April
    • Friday 24 April
    The Committee will also be hearing from submitters from 8.30am to 1.00pm on the following dates:
    • Wednesday 29 April
    • Wednesday 6 April
    What to do next:
    Please reply to this email before midnight on Wednesday 8 April:
    Confirming you would still like to make an oral submission
    letting us know your preferred date and time to make a submission (including any dates you will not be able to submit on). We will do our best to accommodate your preferences.
    If you no longer wish to make an oral submission.
    What happens next?
    After the committee has considered all the public submissions and advice, it will share its findings and any recommendations with Parliament in a report.
    The committee’s report, along with the submissions and advice, will be published on the Parliament website.
    Once the committee has presented its report, the bill will progress to the next stage.
    You can follow the progress of this bill and sign up for notifications by going to the bill on the Parliament website. You can find out more about how a bill becomes a law here.
    Please let us know if you would like more information or have any questions. Further information about how to use zoom will be provided to each submitter.
    Ngā mihi,
    Social Services and Community committee staff
    Committee Secretariat
    Email: [email protected]
    Committee Secretariat
    Phone: 04 817 9520
    Email: [email protected]
    Last edited by Perry; 07-04-2020 at 04:47 PM. Reason: formatting fix
    Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Supposedly, parliament has been suspended for the lock-down period.

Don't forget that the Munsteress of Housing was reported as saying that residential tenants only needed to pay their rent if they were able to.
    Last edited by Perry; 07-04-2020 at 04:48 PM.
    Want a great looking concrete swimming pool in Hawke's Bay? Designer Pools will do the job for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick G View Post
    Megan Woods emailed all landlords and tenants on March 27th advising that all non-essential parliamentary business was to be suspended, including all business currently before select committees. This included the RTA amendment bill.

Fast forward to today, and an email went out asking when people wanted to be contacted to give their oral submission!

There seems to be a push on to get "unpopular" legislation through right now. Another bill (unrelated to property, just mentioning to highlight this is not an isolated case) around giving voting rights to prisoners is also being pushed hard by Andrew Little.

Well that is interesting. I do agree with you. Now is a great time to advance contentious legislation. The quantity of submitter 'hearings' will sink like a lead balloon and the Gov is going to do what it wants anyway - just faster.

Labour's "year of delivery" was underwhelming, but Labours chances in the upcoming election are looking good. Jacinda's popularity is high and only going to increase as her party feeds New Zealand during this crisis. The state looks set to take more ground with RTA and other changes.

Please, can someone (anyone) explain to me how any legislation can be 'passed' while parliament is in recess?

Please, can someone (anyone) explain to me how any legislation can be 'passed' while parliament is in recess?
    I'm not sure anyone is suggesting that.

My understanding is that select committees and other parliamentary processes continue. This means proposed changes to the RTA can (and based on Nick Gs post above is) be advanced to a point where bill change recommendations (if any) can be made during the next reading to the house once it convenes again.

I imagine and I could be wrong that Labour will hit the after burners and rush to get this bill into legislation before the next election. Im picking it will be law at some point in July. Labour can then go to the polls having delivered on its promise to over 1 million New Zealanders who rent that they have made the rental market fairer and more secure. This achievement they will claim will be accretive to the Government's other improvements to renting, including the banning of letting fees and the healthy homes guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanya View Post
    My understanding is that select committees and other parliamentary processes continue.
    If that's so, I wonder how they are maintaining the 'social distance' requirements?

Quote Originally Posted by Sanya View Post
    I imagine that Labour will hit the after burners and rush to get this bill into legislation before the next election. Labour can then go to the polls having delivered on its promise to over 1 million New Zealanders who rent that they have made the rental market fairer and more secure. This achievement they will claim will be accretive to the Government's other improvements to renting, including the banning of letting fees and the healthy homes guarantee.
    Well, let us hope that the counter-points are stridently made, as well.

* The reduction in private residential rental numbers;

* The general increases in rent of those which remain;

* The gigantic 30,000 'affordable' houses deficit;

* The enormous costs to taxpayers of motels for emergency housing, etc., consequent upon Labour's overall 'affordable' housing failures;

* And so on . . .

Doesn't matter if the plug on the wall is labelled HOUSING or THE ECONOMY

Labour has never learned and never will.

I suspect that it may have something to do with the emergency powers which they have given themselves due to the pandemic.

Thread Information