First Covid-19 rent reduction request received

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi There,

A curious query on how experienced people think here.

I have an investment property in South Auckland. My current tenants have been living there for a year. When we were in lockdown in Apr, I checked if they needed any help with rents and they were okay to pay. However now 5 weeks ago, they stopped paying me the rent, asked me to help them out now as they lost the income and trying for new job.

They are okay tenants so far except recent financial situation. My financial situation on mortgage payments is okay so far.

Wondering how long should I wait for them to start paying? Just curious on how everyone's experience is?

Also wondering if there is any govt assistance still out there for people renting? If they go to Winz, what would be the wait time? Sorry, first time dealing with this.

Any thoughts on this will really be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Comment

• The fact you went to them in April asking if they needed help with rents, imo may have pre-empted the current situation.

I would be thoroughly researching the genuineness of their situation and asking questions like have they applied to receive any assistance ?

At the same time you cannot just stand by on this situation but need to issue rent arrears notices if not done already.

Comment

• Originally posted by mrsaneperson View Post
        The fact you went to them in April asking if they needed help with rents, imo may have pre-empted the current situation.

I would be thoroughly researching the genuineness of their situation and asking questions like have they applied to receive any assistance ?

At the same time you cannot just stand by on this situation but need to issue rent arrears notices if not done already.
        Many Thanks for your time & reply. Sure, totally agree with all of your points and agent is taking care of it now. I was just curious on how long landlords generally wait?? In my case, 5 weeks is more than long enough that I guess.

Comment

Working...
        X