• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Artemis has posted information of what tenants should do.

(I.e. Where LLs should point tenants to.)
    Want a great looking concrete swimming pool in Hawke's Bay? Designer Pools will do the job for you!

Default Tenant ceasing to pay rent and outgoings

Email from tenants property manager.

On Monday and in response to the Covid-19 pandemic, the Government moved New Zealand to Alert Level 4 effective 25 March 2020.

“This imposes a near complete societal lockdown effective for at least the 4 weeks from that date. Accordingly, ... must cease operation or trade until further notice, and in compliance with the Government’s directive, we can no longer access and occupy our premises.

Until ... ability to operate or trade from its premises resumes, the foundation of its commercial arrangement with its landlords must also be suspended recognising the extreme financial and operational impact that has been imposed. Accordingly, ... will cease to pay rent and outgoings (together “rental”) until the Alert Level reduces to a point where occupation and trading can resume.

Your thoughts on this matter welcomed?

Yes, have done this (via the property manager) but my point is more around just taking tenants word for it that they cant pay the rent and we LLs should become their bank?

Simply: no.

Nor their charity benefactor.
    Want a great looking concrete swimming pool in Hawke's Bay? Designer Pools will do the job for you!

One of my tenants whose children moved out gave me notice to vacate about one ago. He has secured a 2 bedr unit for $520 Due to lock down , he is looking at a reduced rent to stay on. My 2 storey 4 bedroom house located on its section was rented at $690. I have cancelled the rate increase about the same time.

How hard is it to get tenants in Auckland during this time ?

Quote Originally Posted by Merlot Mike View Post
    That's what I'm concerned about. So 100% or 50% off for the month? ...or allow him to defer the months rent and pay it off in installments over a few months starting after lockdown?
    Bob Jones for his retail tenants apparently deferred three months rental spread the total over the balance of the lease.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlot Mike View Post
    That's interesting, I wonder how to interpret this: "a fair proportion of rent and outgoings shall cease to be payable"? How would one calculate that?
    It's really hard to work out . If it is a warehouse storing goods to sell at Xmas time and the warehouse is full ...perhaps no refund. If it a office that now works from home . Very little . A takeaway a lot. ADLS ver 6 second schedule 27.5 and 27.6 only indicates "fair'

Default COVID and rent

Hi

My tenants have advised, already(!) that they're unable to pay the rent, at least temporarily. One was self employed and the partner had recently become a WINZ beneficiary.

I get that it's tough for everyone in this new world. What I don't want, is to be taken advantage of. How would one know if tenants were in receipt of income replacement, accommodation supplement or any other targeted financial assistance that should enable them to pay the rent?

It doesn't seem reasonable to me to start the usual rent arrears processes and notices, and I doubt that it'd proceed through the Tenancy Tribunal process ATM anyway.

Thanks
    Lee

Your great grandparents went to war for you, you're being asked to sit on the couch and wash your hands. Please.. Stay home, save lives, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by tmouse View Post
    Email from tenants property manager.

On Monday and in response to the Covid-19 pandemic, the Government moved New Zealand to Alert Level 4 effective 25 March 2020.

“This imposes a near complete societal lockdown effective for at least the 4 weeks from that date. Accordingly, ... must cease operation or trade until further notice, and in compliance with the Government’s directive, we can no longer access and occupy our premises.

Until ... ability to operate or trade from its premises resumes, the foundation of its commercial arrangement with its landlords must also be suspended recognising the extreme financial and operational impact that has been imposed. Accordingly, ... will cease to pay rent and outgoings (together “rental”) until the Alert Level reduces to a point where occupation and trading can resume.

Your thoughts on this matter welcomed?
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ectid=12320625

You're clearly not the only one in this position. Now it's been publicised, expect a lot more companies digging their heals in.

As a tenant, it's clearly in their longer term interest to come to a reasonable agreement rather unilaterally refusing to pay their lease.

Landlords are in tough time situations too, let's not dig a hole for ourselves with the governments spade. Tenants should be meeting their rent payments as the government has said they are entitled to wages lost plus rent top-ups.

I fear though this situation is a grotesque response to a very small issue which has been taken out of all proportion. Perspective is lost.

The supposed lockdown cure is worse than the problem itself.

Thread Information