• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook

Default Building New Bathroom and toilet in house ! Do i need consent ?

Dear Members,

I have bought house last year which has 2 good size lounge and wanting to convert one into bed room and add new toilet and bathroom and wanting to rent out individual room to create some income from home since my child recently diagnose and i need to spend lot of money on private therapy for my child.

i want to add new toilet and bathroom in the bedroom and i want to know if i do not get consent and use registered plumber and builder would i be able to get CCC after completion.

i have spoke to couple of renovator they have told me to build it without consent and quote me cheaper to build it and if i choose to get consent they told me it will be expensive and also it will take time.

if anyone can advise me which one is better way of doing it at the same time i do not have enough money to be honest if i have to choose with consented bathroom.

i am in predicament what to do since i also dont know if i can afford my child therapy for longer period of time if i dont then i might have to sell the property in near future then it will affect us to get good price of our property.

so please advise if CCC is easy to get after completion of this project and also will that affect the property price when we try to sell the property ?

Please recommend i desperately need some income coming in.

Thanks

what age is the house and what information is on the council property file?

If older than 1992 and info poor then go ahead and claim something was already there and you renovated it. Just make sure it is done by registered plumber.

Sorry to hear about your child's situation.

Regarding your question on whether you can get a CCC after completion if you do not get a consent - the answer is no. You can only get a CCC if you have applied for a building consent.
    You can get COA after the works has been done, but i'm not sure if it makes sense to do it in this situation.

You should do the works properly regardless of whether you go down a consenting path. i.e. Use a registered plumber, ensure your new bedroom achieves minimum standards of a bedroom and so on.
    Depending on your location, you may be able to apply for a building consent exemption - however it may be a far stretch if it's for a full bathroom.

As the previous poster mentioned, if it is an older house you could just get the works done and say it was original.

My two cents on selling the property - you will run into some troubles. If it's in a super hot market and you auction it then well, no problem, everything sells.
    However in every other case, questions will be asked - starting from the agent who may ask you if you've done any works to the property and if they know the bedroom and bathroom has not been done properly they will not want to include those two rooms in their listing. And I believe it will put off a lot of buyers especially if your market is first home buyers.

I would look into costing up the building consent, including the extra time spent when the room could have been rented, and compare it with doing it illegally. Then comparing the extra cost with the added risks and go from there.

Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by John the builder View Post
    what age is the house and what information is on the council property file?

If older than 1992 and info poor then go ahead and claim something was already there and you renovated it. Just make sure it is done by registered plumber.
    The house built in 1977 and i want to know if COA can be done after building toilet bathroom !
    Thanks

Thread Information