New landlord has sprung a 1 month fixed on me and wants me to move out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New landlord has sprung a 1 month fixed on me and wants me to move out

My landlord sold his place to a new landlord and the new landlord has said the old periodic lease with my old landlord will expire soon and wants me to sign a new fixed term lease. The new landlord gave me the new lease and I was expecting the new lease to be 6 months, 12 months but the landlord has sprung a new fixed term lease that is just for one month and wants me to to move out in month so he can renovate my place. Is this legal at all?

No, that doesn't sound right at all - I believe you're entitled to 90 days notice, whatever the circumstances. Though we have some PMs on here and they will know exactly your rights.

cheers,

Donna
    Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Originally posted by donna View Post
      No, that doesn't sound right at all - I believe you're entitled to 90 days notice, whatever the circumstances. Though we have some PMs on here and they will know exactly your rights.

cheers,

Donna
      I think it's 6 weeks for a major renovation.

One month is definitely illegal.
      Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Originally posted by skinhat View Post
        the old periodic lease with my old landlord will expire soon and wants me to sign a new fixed term lease.
        Periodic Contracts do not expire "soon".

If it is a Periodic Contract then the minimum is 90 days for the described reason. If it is a lease which is to "expire soon" then yes, if more than 21 days away, the landlord can offer a one month fixed term contract and you can choose to accept it or move out earlier.

www.3888444.co.nz
        Facebook Page

Comment

Skinhat
          Your quote:
          "My landlord sold his place to a new landlord and the new landlord has said the old periodic lease with my old landlord will expire soon and wants me to sign a new fixed term lease"

A response:
          "If it is a Periodic Contract then the minimum is 90 days for the described reason".

My response is:
          If you are on a Periodic Contract it is the standard 90-day notice, so you need to be clear just exactly what contract you are on.

Its a good idea to discuss this your landlord to get a clear understanding for both parties concerned and you know where you stand.

He may be a Newbie at this, so you need to be clear about your rights - and he may be a Forumite asking of his rights as well!

All the best to you both

Comment

Working...
          X