Bad tenants for neighbours in unit title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad tenants for neighbours in unit title

We are part of a body corp unit title. Another LL rented out a very nearby townhouse to no good tenants. I have complained to the secretary because about 8 visitor cars each day (always different cars) and the tenant ALWAYS uses a different car each 2 days or so. People coming and going like a boarding house. Other day I am sure could smell cooking of P as was like pollution over that house - could sense rather than see fumes coming from their open windows at 7 am. I walked passed and was a ventilator floor fan going. it's pretty early in the morning for that. People peek out windows at night, sometimes people walking around the property early early morning. All young 20s, mostly indigenous. I found out there is a property manager there, Harcourts no less. They hadn't done due checks I bet. Alas, they already have a submission to end tenancy with the authority based on rent arrears, and noise complaints.

I have asked how long this process takes and no reply. I have complained to our secretary which is a large firm (AkldPM) but who said they are not interested to know about the visitor cars in and out, but to me that is fundamental as means they are conducting business there not allowed in the BC rules for our unit title. I have pages of photo evidences of 50 different cars from a few months. Also I recorded mp3 of a fight that was at 1am there and sent that in as evidence. Another neighbour also sent in complaint regarding less security.
    What kind of options are there for residents affected by such other tenants? I would think that the secretary who manage the place, the property manager and LL of other house should have to deal with this more effectively. Eg: the PM asked me to call the police about the P, whereas I know the tenants know I have complained so it would make me a target. I also think by doing that PM and LL are trying to get out of their own responsibilities. I am quite angry that the umbrella of AkldPM won't do anything.
    Can you give any advice or discussion about this issue?

With the new law coming in - LLs won't be able to get rid of feral tenants. So hope you like living next to bad neighbours! Enjoy the "fairness".
    The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

This is a grave , serious situation and somehow needs to be addressed before it gets worse. I wish I could offer any help other than to ask the Police what they can do, or give you advice?

Or with the help of other concerned neighbours you could get a collective to force the PM's to address this concern?

Someone needs to stand up and take some action. The PM's would be my starting point; they get paid to deal with these issues or the property owner is wasting their money!

Comment

Thanks, I believe with Unit Titles act supercedes the tenancy rights, due to interests paid for the unit title, and adherence to body corp rules must take precedence over a right not to be kicked out. There would be no point having utility and entitlements in the titles and no point in body corp rules, even though by law must have.
        With my situation I found out the PM was a bit more proactive that I presumed and did contact an affected neighbour, so a result will happen eventually.
        I just wonder - how long does it take ...

Comment

So ask them to give you a date and keep at it. It appears unless you persist then the problem still exists.

All the rules and regs are there as a guideline so landlords are at their own integrity.
          Durr suggestion, but Alert the landlord, and cc to your PM?

Comment

Sounds like this is a fixed term tenancy and Harcourts is asking the Tenancy Tribunal to terminate it early. Or if periodic a 90 day termination has been served and it includes the very sensible addition 'or earlier if ordered by the TT'.

If a periodic tenancy then 90 day notice can be given without going to the TT, so there is some reason if that is the path Harcourts are taking.

Meantime you and other neighbours can pass written complaints on to Harcourts, including suspicion of drug dealing, and request in large block letters that your details are kept absolutely confidential.

All these take time, but you can ask Harcourts for information. They might not give you much info (privacy) but the body corp chair or the owner of the rented unit should be able to find out.

Comment

Drugs on the Premises.
              Go see your local police station and rep[ort that you can smell chemicals and all the comings and goings. Tell them its a possible meth house.

Comment

I've suggested that already and it seems like the wheels are in progress?

I can only reiterate to tell the Police of suspect activity.

If nothing else, then for your own peace of mind that you have done what you can do unless there are other (law abiding) suggestions forthcoming ........?

Comment

Originally posted by erinak View Post
                  I've suggested that already and it seems like the wheels are in progress?

I can only reiterate to tell the Police of suspect activity.
                  ?
                  Go see your local police station
                  It was only recently I was reading the govt body could not protect one of its citizens. I think I will keep a hold my info yet hope that the PM will magically make the problem disappear at the TT this week based on arrears and noise. it is an ongoing drama.
                  The PM visited after the weekend and said she didn't notice anything.

PS: Donna? Is there an Edit function after I post? I may need to omit any identifying pronouns in my writing.
                  Last edited by AndyB; 07-03-2020, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Jeez.
                    What a minefield Andy B.
                    You get time to breathe? ........

Comment

The TT ordered them out Thursday. PM didn't visit. Fri night some young people still in the house. I guess they are squatters now? How are they to be moved on I wonder ..

Comment

Call the Police! Get them involved! Hire/get some Heavies in and throw them out - whatever.

Use your right as Owner for Chrissake.
                        Last edited by erinak; 14-03-2020, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by erinak View Post
                          Call the Police! Get them involved! Hire/get some Heavies in and throw them out - whatever.

Use your right as Owner for Chrissake.
                          I am not the owner, am a resident neighbour

Comment

what's worse is following the TT orders, tenants may decide not to leave. This requires a court order and a trip by bailiff.

Comment

Oh Crikey. I thought for all your concern you were the owner. Apologies.
                              What's with the owner? They gone AWOL huh?

Comment

Working...
                              X