I HATE auctions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I went to our local auction room today... I haven't been for a while

I went as I'd been given a call by a local agent about a property that I might be interested in a week out from the auction. This hasn't happened for a while so I took this to mean no interest. It was a property that had what on the surface looked to have a bad building report and being a really good agent knew I have the knowledge and contacts to fix the issues in the building report.

I trot along to the house yesterday with my engineer to check out the building report issues only to find they're not as bad as the building inspector suggested, in fact my engineer was in the market for a new home so said he wanted to buy it, I don't need another home so we formulated a plan and along we go to the auction...

I was shocked to find standing room only... I'm thinking this doesn't line up with my assumption of little interest... fortunately after a dozen or so auctions the crowd cleared and we got down to business.

After a few bids from others we picked this house up for a bargain. I thought we were wasting our time but in the end we're happy... The vendor was in the room and it looked like they were happy too - likely knowing their house had issues and relieved they don't have to rectify.

Sometimes auctions work out.

After the auction I sent my roofer in to quote the roof replacement. The good news the price was $5k less than I told my engineer it would cost... the even better news the roofer said the current roof would last 3-5 years so no need to replace straight away!

Comment

Oh for sure they work out sometimes.

Sometimes for the buyer, sometimes for the vendor, sometimes for both. ALWAYS for the salesperson.
      Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Originally posted by Don't believe the Hype View Post
        So I went to our local auction room today... I haven't been for a while

I went as I'd been given a call by a local agent about a property that I might be interested in a week out from the auction. This hasn't happened for a while so I took this to mean no interest. It was a property that had what on the surface looked to have a bad building report and being a really good agent knew I have the knowledge and contacts to fix the issues in the building report.

I trot along to the house yesterday with my engineer to check out the building report issues only to find they're not as bad as the building inspector suggested, in fact my engineer was in the market for a new home so said he wanted to buy it, I don't need another home so we formulated a plan and along we go to the auction...

I was shocked to find standing room only... I'm thinking this doesn't line up with my assumption of little interest... fortunately after a dozen or so auctions the crowd cleared and we got down to business.

After a few bids from others we picked this house up for a bargain. I thought we were wasting our time but in the end we're happy... The vendor was in the room and it looked like they were happy too - likely knowing their house had issues and relieved they don't have to rectify.

Sometimes auctions work out.

After the auction I sent my roofer in to quote the roof replacement. The good news the price was $5k less than I told my engineer it would cost... the even better news the roofer said the current roof would last 3-5 years so no need to replace straight away!
        Can you post the listing ?

Comment

Originally posted by Don't believe the Hype View Post
          ... the even better news the roofer said the current roof would last 3-5 years so no need to replace straight away!
          So, it will be R&M rather than capital improvement.

www.3888444.co.nz
          Facebook Page

Comment

You're right... I hadn't stopped to think as we've been flat out but this just keeps getting better.

Comment

Working...
            X