Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drug use and testing

Hi all,

Tenant has admitted to class B drug use at the property, but only to me verbally with no witnesses. Frankly, to each their own, but she has also admitted to meth use in the very distant past and her ex (not living there but visiting at times for a few days each visit) being in the past a class A junkie but i could not pin her down to if he is still using.

They want to pop pills, etc, that don't impact house then we'll be leaving them to it but I'm concerned about meth use and any potential negative financial implications upon us. Should i be or am I being one of those anal busy-bodies that should live and let live?

Should be thinking about testing when their tenancy is up in a few months? Just those mteh test swab kist we can buy online and do a few rooms before the next tenants arrive? I also read something about the police testing the wastewater in most urban areas to work out how much of many different types of drugs are being consumed. The rental is rural - is it worth testing the septic tank contents or is that just getting ridiculous?

I'm assuming there are some serious legal implications if any of this is done without tenants consent during the tenancy, so it will be done when they have gone, if at all.

Any help much appreciated - it's the first renting we've done and we are still green.

Regards,

oneForwardTwoBack :-)

doesnt jacindas circus actively encourage drug use now?

Comment

Coming Soon

There's a referendum with the GE on that, is there not?

Use this and you'll be out of your tree
      You'll forget kiwiskild and vote for me.

Comment

Originally posted by OneForwardTwoBack View Post
        I'm assuming there are some serious legal implications if any of this is done without tenants consent during the tenancy, so it will be done when they have gone, if at all.
        Test for meth as they leave.
        If below the limit - ignore it.
        If over limit - charge them for the clean up - take it from the bond plus more if the bond doesn't cover it.
        Your next tenant needs a clean house so let the departing tenant pay for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kane View Post
          If over limit - charge them for the clean up
          Assuming you can provide the test results to prove the property was clean before the tenant moved in.

Comment

The whole meth testing thing was proven to be a scam...…...I would just ignore it

https://thespinoff.co.nz/business/27-09-2017/the-great-meth-testing-scam/

In a 2016 paper Kim advised that the lowest level of daily exposure to meth that could have a remotely plausible health effect on infants, the most vulnerable members of society, was 12 micrograms – about 8 times the new standard. At 1.5 residue levels are so negligible that to call it ‘contamination’ is an abuse of language, Kim argues.Householders could measure for any number of nasties on a wall if they wanted to, he says. Fly spray, lead paint and mould are all arguably just as hazardous to children – and yet people don’t test for those.“A lot of commentary around this issue implies there is an acute health risk that’s immediately hazardous if you’re above the [meth] standard, and that’s simply not true,” Kim says.

Cheers
            Spaceman

Comment

Originally posted by spaceman View Post
              The whole meth testing thing was proven to be a scam...…...I would just ignore it
              I agree it was a scam - I was one of the early warners about it.
              Unfortunately, the TT doesn't see it that way and can hand out penalties against LLs so you have to protect yourself against a deceitful tenant.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kane View Post
                . . . the TT doesn't see it that way and can hand out penalties against LLs so you have to protect yourself against a deceitful tenant.
                . . . and equally mendacious and devious TT Kangaroo Kourt Klutzes.

Comment

Thank you everyone. If the test limits are such a crock, why haven't they changed to something reflecting reality? It seems like it will unnecessarily cause trouble, forcing landlords to hammer tenants lest they be on the hook. Unless the law is changed, it is pitting good and bad landlords against good and bad tenants. Perhaps our esteemed legislators should have put the pipe down when they drafted the law? It seems like to cover our own backsides we have to test and if above the very low limits we have to jump down the cleaning rabbit hole and seek costs from departed tenants. The place was however tenanted for 4 months to a Dr prior to the current tenant so I guess that introduces an element of doubt if the tests do exceed any limits, such that we are on the hook for any cleaning costs if needed. Another lesson learned I guess. Fingers crossed the testing once tenants move out finds nothing.

Comment

Schedule a meth test now. Let them know there will be one at least every 6 months going forward.
                    Better yet - 90 day notice - property is not to be used for illegal purposes.
                    The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

Originally posted by PC View Post
                      Schedule a meth test now...
                      Be sure to be giving the required notice (so tenant can quickly organize an impromptu meth smoking session before the first test).

Comment

Has anyone gone through the process of trying to evict a tenant following a positive meth test? Would the positive result be sufficient to evict if you didn't have a pre tenancy test showing there was no pre-existing contamination?

Comment

How happy would you be if a police officer gave you a speeding ticket on the basis that someone has been speeding. He has no proof it was you but you just happend to be there at the right time?

No reason is required for a 90 day notice.

Comment

Working...
                          X