Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I claim expenses on a airbnb property similar to a standard rental property?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I claim expenses on a airbnb property similar to a standard rental property?

Hi,

Just wondering if I can claim all the same expenses as a tax deduction that I currently do with a normal rental property (e.g. mortgage interest, R+M, rates, insurance etc) if I operated the house with airbnb?

The house would obviously still be an investment for me, but seeing as it's not in the "normal rental pool" in NZ and therefore not helping with the shortage of rental property in NZ, I'm wondering if I can still claim the expenses.

I don't currently own said house but am thinking to get something in a tourist area (Queenstown, Castle Hill or Raglan). Also, from my research it looks like there might be some form of council regulation in Qtown (90days per year limit)? Can anyone tell me if this is accurate and current, or what the Qtown restrictions are (or are being talked about)? And also, if there are any restrictions (or discussion about them) for Castle Hill or Raglan?

Cheers

I would expect so.
    There will be additional tax issues so best talk to an accountant - try Rosco here at PropertyTalk.

Comment

The law states somethings of the lines of this....

Expenses occurred in deriving assessable income are deductible.....(not verbatim)

Doesn't matter if Airbnb or "normal rental" if you're generating an income that can be taxed then the expenses are deductible.

Q town is 1-90 days ok ….91 - 180 days = resource consent ….181 days + non-complying activity …..or something like that.

Not sure what the council could actually do.....I doubt very much they can actually control if you use the house as a Airbnb or not....I would guess all that they could do is try to increase your rates to commercial rather than residential......I have no real clue about this TBH...…….but we don't live in a police state ….yet!!

good luck

cheers
      Spaceman

Comment

Working...
      X