X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minor dwelling in Single House Zone

Hello,

Hope all are enjoying holidays.

I need a clarification regarding minor dwelling in Single House Zone in Auckland. Is it possible to construct a minor dwelling where the
    total site size is 506 m2 and the main house is 100 sqm. Or can I divide the main house into two dwellings with some extensions?
    Or any other ways I can utilize the free land. It's a free hold section.

Any insight is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Roni

Originally posted by Roni View Post
    Hello,

Hope all are enjoying holidays.

I need a clarification regarding minor dwelling in Single House Zone in Auckland. Is it possible to construct a minor dwelling where the
    total site size is 506 m2 and the main house is 100 sqm. Or can I divide the main house into two dwellings with some extensions?
    rules are here;

(A4) The conversion of aprincipal dwelling existingas at 30 September 2013into a maximum of twodwellingsP Standard H3.6.3 Conversion of ofa principal dwelling into amaximum of two dwelings

(A5) Minor dwellings P Standard H3.6.4 Minordwellings; Standard H3.6.6Building height; Standard H3.6.7Height in relation to boundary;Standard H3.6.8 Yards; StandardH3.6.9 Maximum imperviousareas; Standard H3.6.10 Buildingcoverage; Standard H3.6.11Landscaped area; StandardH3.6.12 Front, side and rearfences and walls

There is no area requirement?

Comment

Originally posted by Roni View Post

There are quite a few requirements to address before this can be answered. You need to look at site coverage, set backs and all that stuff before you can be sure .

In theory you can both split the existing house and add a minor dwelling under the plan John has linked too, however it's likely to be tough to comply will all the requirements to achieve this.

Comment

Originally posted by John the builder View Post

There is no area requirement?
        the area gets driven by the building coverage requirement. I believe it is 35% for SHZ, so no more than 175m2 of building on that site.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo View Post
          the area gets driven by the building coverage requirement. I believe it is 35% for SHZ, so no more than 175m2 of building on that site.

alter/rebuild within the current footprint and coverage isnt a problem. Fire separation maybe an issue that needs addressing?

Comment

alter/rebuild within the current footprint and coverage isnt a problem. Fire separation maybe an issue that needs addressing?
            Fire separation should have set specs etc ?

John The Builder, can you free up your inbox, trying to Private Message you haha.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo View Post

In theory you can both split the existing house and add a minor dwelling under the plan John has linked too, however it's likely to be tough to comply will all the requirements to achieve this.
              This is a situation I'm looking into. We have an existing four bedroom house in the Single House Zone. There is an existing minor dwelling on site that was built years ago. We would like to convert the main house into two dwellings which would mean three dwellings on site (two in the main house and one in the minor dwelling). Is this allowed? Had an architect come around and he seemed to think it wasn't.

Comment

Originally posted by chrischameleon View Post
                This is a situation I'm looking into. We have an existing four bedroom house in the Single House Zone. There is an existing minor dwelling on site that was built years ago. We would like to convert the main house into two dwellings which would mean three dwellings on site (two in the main house and one in the minor dwelling). Is this allowed? Had an architect come around and he seemed to think it wasn't.

Ring council help line planner? They may confirm one way or the other.

Comment

Request resource consent

You can go outside the plan if you go for resource consent at Council. We've got 3 dwellings on a 675m2 site - 3rd one being built as we speak, (wasn't single use zone though)

Comment

I am contemplating doing the same.

The reason being is that I have got a 900K IP, which was purchased a decade ago , at the time the returns were great but its not the best ROI if you look at today's returns.

its still is low maintenance and 10 yrs old. If it was 30 or 40 yrs old, I would definitely demolish it and build 2.

Any idea best use of the capital , keep , sell and invest elsewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by Funstuff View Post
                      You can go outside the plan if you go for resource consent at Council. We've got 3 dwellings on a 675m2 site - 3rd one being built as we speak, (wasn't single use zone though)
                      PMed you.

Comment

Ring council help line planner? They may confirm one way or the other.
                        Had another architect come around and in association with his own planner he recons what we are proposing is doable subject to fireproofing. Any idea what the costs would be for the fireproofing alone? The bottom unit would be around 100 square metres.

Comment

Had another architect come around and in association with his own planner he recons what we are proposing is doable subject to fireproofing. Any idea what the costs would be for the fireproofing alone? The bottom unit would be around 100 square metres.
                          It depends on practicality

you need to get sound and fire seperation of ceiling and if basement also firerate the supporting walls *that effectively support the fire seperation to above. Consider it a major renovation of the basement.

Comment

Working...
                          X