Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you really need a conveyancer/lawyer outside a LIM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you really need a conveyancer/lawyer outside a LIM?

Do you really need to spend $1.5-2k on a lawyer to exchange money, change titles over etc in the finalising phase of buying property?

Outside a LIM report on a cross less which can be done for $200, can you do the rest yourself?

Im not sure if Ive just been lazy in the passed. Especially as I did do a couple of law papers at uni (and never used them lol).

Lawyers this time of year are impossible to get hold of outside a quick LIM and Im wondering if I can do the rest myself......

General question, not looking to hold anybody to just an opinion.

a good lawyer is like buy insurance - when you need them to get you out of a pickle you're glad you got the right one.

You can look at it as a waste of money but personally I think it's the wrong way to look at it.

As an example - I'm not hoping for a massive heart attach over the summer so I can make use of my medical insurance premiums I've paid all year

Comment

Originally posted by Don't believe the Hype View Post
      a good lawyer is like buy insurance - when you need them to get you out of a pickle you're glad you got the right one.

You can look at it as a waste of money but personally I think it's the wrong way to look at it.

As an example - I'm not hoping for a massive heart attach over the summer so I can make use of my medical insurance premiums I've paid all year
      Not at all, I agree, if you have the money they can be GOLD.

This is more a case of nobody has time right now outside doing the LIM and checking the contract. Im wondering if the rest is too hard for the average corporate sort?

Comment

$2000 for a lawyer to swap titles and move the funds for a sub100k car park

seems too much for me
        have you defeated them?
        your demons

Comment

Originally posted by eri View Post
          $2000 for a lawyer to swap titles and move the funds for a sub100k car park

seems too much for me
          ouch where did that come from?

Comment

How you'd find it - I have no idea - but, somewhere on these forums, someone posted a step-by-step how-to-guide, for what you're asking.

It's likely to be in Finance, legal and tax (NZ) section, but that's a guess.

Comment

about $1000 used to be the minimum for my solicitor when they started up 10 years ago

over $2000 now seems to be their new minimum

might be time to change solicitors

anyone in auckland getting better?
              have you defeated them?
              your demons

Comment

Eeeek eri. Sorry to hear that.

Comment

i know of one who's cheap and good but not experienced. sounds like what you're after. just need good internet as he's in Dunedin.

Comment

We just paid $2k for our lawyer to remove bank from 2 titles. Some might say this is expensive but we got what we paid for.

This transaction happened the day after email confirmation from the bank before they changed their mind in Xmas week. The bank wanted to do it when they were back from leave in January our expensive lawyer made it happen immediately... cheaper lawyers would likely have been ok with the bank timelines - which would give the bank time to change their mind.

To us the speed of this was great value at twice the price.

We requested these properties be released a few years back and the bank/credit dept were looking for many hundreds of thousands of debt payback to release the security - we planned our negotiation with the new bank manager, executed the plan with our best case scenario being the bank would ask for $50k payback.

Somehow, maybe due to the really nasty credit guys at the bank being on Xmas holiday already or just good luck we got a result that exceeded our best case - waiting had risk we paid to remove that risk.

Comment

Working...
                    X