Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can i just "install a shower" next to existing toilet & wash basin.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can i just "install a shower" next to existing toilet & wash basin.

Hi i have a 70s PPOR. In the corner of a bedroom which we use as master, there is toilet and a wash basin in a nook behind a japanese style sliding door.
    I can see plans but back in those days there are no building consents.
    Can I just install a shower in that space?
    This is in Dunedin.

You can.....you can do whatever you want.

You might run into problems later with consents etc.....but if you do all the work who is to say it wasn't like that when you got it.

If you're going to get a professional to do it, you will need consent...….any professional who tells you otherwise isn't.

https://www.building.govt.nz/building-code-compliance/e-moisture/e3-internal-moisture/wet-area-showers-need-building-consent/

Cheers
    Spaceman

Comment

Originally posted by spaceman View Post
      You can.....you can do whatever you want.

You might run into problems later with consents etc.....but if you do all the work who is to say it wasn't like that when you got it.

If you're going to get a professional to do it, you will need consent...….any professional who tells you otherwise isn't.

https://www.building.govt.nz/building-code-compliance/e-moisture/e3-internal-moisture/wet-area-showers-need-building-consent/

Cheers
      Spaceman

(at the risk of being "not a professional") under schedule 1, you can install a shower without consent if you can move or substitute for a sanitary fixture somewhere else on the property and dont increase the total number.

for example the handbasin could be removed and shower substituted in place (self contained unit recommended and not a level threshhold). I doubt you would want to do this but perhaps there is something else on the property no longer used?

Having established that it is indeed professional to install a shower without consent perhaps no one would know what was not there before anyway? but I would be unprofessional to suggest any unlawful act?

I should also have said that if unit title or cross lease you might need permission of others???
      Last edited by John the builder; 11-12-2019, 01:27 PM. Reason: late thought

Comment

Mitre10 say it's 'easy as' but what about the plumbing?

cheers,

Donna
        Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

has to be done by registered plumber to be lawfully carried out under schedule 1

Comment

Originally posted by John the builder View Post
            (at the risk of being "not a professional") under schedule 1, you can install a shower without consent if you can move or substitute for a sanitary fixture somewhere else on the property and dont increase the total number.

for example the handbasin could be removed and shower substituted in place (self contained unit recommended and not a level threshhold). I doubt you would want to do this but perhaps there is something else on the property no longer used?

Having established that it is indeed professional to install a shower without consent perhaps no one would know what was not there before anyway? but I would be unprofessional to suggest any unlawful act?

I should also have said that if unit title or cross lease you might need permission of others???
            I'm sure you're super professional.....just a little behind on the reading comprehension.

The question was ...can I install a shower......not can I substitute or move something else.

I took the question to mean....can I install a shower in addition to what was existing ….. call me old fashioned....call me irresponsible if you want. I didn't take it to mean can I take out the toilet and replace it with a shower....maybe I should've.....I also didn't take it to mean, can I take out the hand basin and replace it with a shower......thirdly I also didn't take it to mean can I take out the hand basin and the toilet and replace it with a shower.

That being said my reading could also do with a bit of work obviously....as I posted a link to wet area showers which do need consent ...silly old myself
            A "normal" shower doesn't always need consent.

Cheers
            Spaceman

Comment

Originally posted by spaceman View Post
              I'm sure you're super professional.....just a little behind on the reading comprehension.

The question was ...can I install a shower......not can I substitute or move something else.

I took the question to mean....can I install a shower in addition to what was existing ….. call me old fashioned....call me irresponsible if you want. I didn't take it to mean can I take out the toilet and replace it with a shower....maybe I should've.....I also didn't take it to mean, can I take out the hand basin and replace it with a shower......thirdly I also didn't take it to mean can I take out the hand basin and the toilet and replace it with a shower.

That being said my reading could also do with a bit of work obviously....as I posted a link to wet area showers which do need consent ...silly old myself
              A "normal" shower doesn't always need consent.

Cheers
              Spaceman
              that link is likely wrong as well which just shows we shouldnt rely on the 'professionals' either. The schedule 1 makes no distiction as to how a shower is assembled but this was fudged by MBIE guidelines that have since been retracted.

Comment

Originally posted by John the builder View Post
                that link is likely wrong as well which just shows we shouldnt rely on the 'professionals' either. The schedule 1 makes no distiction as to how a shower is assembled but this was fudged by MBIE guidelines that have since been retracted.
                hmm thanks guys. the plot thickens ...

Comment

follow a simple reading of the law and leave interpretation to the "professionals"

Comment

thanks very much this is good news

Comment

Working...
                    X