Floor Insulation Timeframe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floor Insulation Timeframe

I have just purchased a rental. It doesn’t have floor insulation. Is there a timeframe for the floor insulation to be installed after we rent it? Or does the insulation have to be installed before we rent? Thanks in advance!

Before or you'll be renting an illegal property and if your tenants decide to take you to Tenancy Tribunal you could be liable for up to a $4k fine
    Kaye
    www.streetsaheadpm.co.nz

Comment

Thought you had 3 months from the start of the first letting?

Comment

Not sure Bob it was my understanding you had to have it done prior to renting property
        Kaye
        www.streetsaheadpm.co.nz

Comment

As the deadline for compliance passed months ago it makes sense that new rentals must be up to standard from day one.

Make sure that any insulation you have fitted it compliant with the tougher Healthy Homes Standard. This will be compulsory from July 2024 and depending on location some properties that pass the recent insulation standard wont meet the new HH standard.

Comment

Agreed, whilst you have the property empty do the insulation - you'll need to present the R rating for ceiling and underfloor. Plus put in the extractor fans. I don't think they're a must yet but as said it's easier to do the install while the property is vacant plus you've then ticked the boxes and can set the rent rate accordingly.

cheers,

Donna
            Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Originally posted by Kaye View Post
              Not sure Bob it was my understanding you had to have it done prior to renting property
              It's my understanding that you had 90 days if you have just bought it and want to rent it for the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kane View Post
                It's my understanding that you had 90 days if you have just bought it and want to rent it for the first time.
                I think you'll find the 90 day deadline applies the the standards that are coming in. It's my understanding that after 1st July 2021 you have 90 days to bring new and renewed tenancies up to the 1st July 2024 standards. The 2019 standards are already in place so have to have alteady been completed.

Comment

Originally posted by Learning View Post
                  The 2019 standards are already in place so have to have alteady been completed.
                  Except when a house becomes a rental for the first time.
                  As I understand it.
                  If I'm wrong then someone will be quoting the ruling.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kane View Post
                    Except when a house becomes a rental for the first time.
                    As I understand it.
                    If I'm wrong then someone will be quoting the ruling.
                    Underfloor insulation required

(1)

The requirement set out in subclause (3) is imposed on all landlords for the purposes of sections 45(1)(bb) and 66I(1)(bb) of the Act.

(2)

The requirement must be met as at the commencement of the tenancy and at all subsequent times during the tenancy.

(3)

The floors of the habitable spaces at the premises, so far as they are suspended floors, must be fully covered by underfloor insulation that is qualifying underfloor insulation (see regulations 15 and 16).

Etc etc. ...

- Section 21 does make an exception if the tenant is the former owner otherwise it's from day one.

Comment

Correct - the 2019 insulation requirements must be in place prior to any tenancy now commencing.

Under the Healthy Homes legislation, there will be a 90 day window if the insulation needs to be upgraded from the current standard to the HH standard,all private rentals must comply with the healthy homes standards within 90 days of any new or renewed tenancy after 1 July 2021, with all private rentals complying by 1 July 2024.

Comment

Working...
                      X