• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

What do you mean by infrastructure costs? How do you get 8% GST in AUS?

Quote Originally Posted by MargVan View Post
    What do you mean by infrastructure costs? How do you get 8% GST in AUS?
    Infrastructure growth charges, development contributions and all the others.

The real tax rate in Aussie is quite a lot less than NZ, because of the way the tax gets applied. It's a lot more complex than in NZ.

This makes a reasonable stab at it;

https://www2.deloitte.com/content/da...evelopment.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by OnTheMove View Post
    $3000 a sqm is just absurd, cost me $750sqm in Qld. And thats with quality materials not Monolithic houses with joinery designed for 15 years life span.

Is there any way to avoid the costs of Kiwi builds. What is the break down that is costing so much? If its project management I have a BSC and certifications in PPI and Prince 2 certs. And whilst Ive done IT PM, Im damn sure I could handle a building site. I also did labouring with my uncle who was a builder back in my Uni years.

If its not project management, what is costing so darn much to build simple homes?
    Don't build, buy someone else's dream, we build 6 years ago for 1800 a sqm and thought that was expensive, our current home we brought off a buyer who had just had it built, got a bargain.
    "Remember, people will judge you by your actions,not your intentions.You may have a heart of gold -but so does a hard-boiled egg".

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye View Post
    Labour adds up. Even the apprentice builder is charged at $50 per hour .
    exactly, builders charging like wounded bulls! Have you seen the tanks most of them drive around in now, would put the yanks to shame. Don't see this building boom lasting though as there now looks like an oversupply of new builds in Auckland.
    "Remember, people will judge you by your actions,not your intentions.You may have a heart of gold -but so does a hard-boiled egg".

Thanks, elguapo. Amazing work by deloittes. It appears everyone but them still knows that it is way cheaper to build in Oz than NZ.

Quote Originally Posted by elguapo View Post
    The big difference is compliance and infrastructure costs, as well as tax differences. GST on Aussie building is only 8%.
    Those costs are controlled by the government.
    When you ask why houses are so expensive in NZ, all the government ministers say it's because of greedy landlords.
    I think the government is being deceitful or stupid.

I don;t buy into it being infrastructure or tax. I could be wrong. But if an unqualified person at anything gets $50ph, how much does the builder get? How much does the tiler get? Do they use project managers in NZ is that a UK and old aussie thing?

The cost of building in NZ has gone up exponentially with the cost of property. And if an apprentice gets $50 flappn an hour, flap me Im in the wrong game. NZ labour is DEFINITELY more expensive if thats the case.

Id like a break down of $3000sqm and see what the big $ maker is being paid vs 17 or even 10 years ago, and does that stack up with rises (or lack of) in NZ median income, which is the crux of why houses in NZ are unavoidable and we were named 2nd most likely to face a correction. It seems we are paying extreme amounts and the end result all over the country is leaky homes. People dont want monolithic homes, I believe builders do as they are not double bricked firstly, instead use methods which have ended up with leaky homes all over the country. Paying more (in comparison to what the rest of us have gotten in remuneration rises in last 20 years) for sub standard quality it seems.

WHch after todays news with the banks and talk about banks have $113b bail out as per the GFC, the mere talk of it is a sniff in that direction. Im not sure the interest rate rises that willl be passed on are quite in the figure required to burst the guarded Double Bubble (Key 2008 and 150%:GDP)
    Last edited by OnTheMove; 05-12-2019 at 11:59 PM.

I also did labouring with my uncle who was a builder back in my Uni years.
    go build your own house then chum obviously you are a exbert

You're right on the productivity piece. Builders (tradies in general) here in NZ are inching up their prices due to the amount of work around. In Aus they add $10/hr to the bill in NZ they charge for travel time etc as you point out.

On the small jobs this add on times has an impact but on larger jobs it's only a marginal increase and given the supply/demand dynamic I expected hourly rates to rise faster than they have in NZ

And if an apprentice gets $50 flappn an hour, flap me Im in the wrong game. NZ labour is DEFINITELY more expensive if thats the case.
    my son is a fully qualified carpenter working for a firm that specalises in high end renovations he is paid $25 a hr

Thread Information