New rental rules and fixed term tenancy question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New rental rules and fixed term tenancy question

Hi with the new rental rules, is it possible to rent a property for say 9 months and 9 months only, and take it back for 3 months over the summer, and rinse repeat?

Thanks

Depends upon who owns it.

www.3888444.co.nz
    Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by Keys View Post
      Depends upon who owns it.
      I'm presuming this is a holiday home.

If so, is wanting to use the property as a holiday home over summer a reason you can give to cease the tenancy?

This presumably wouldn't be the owners main place of residence.

If this isn't a valid reason (which I would hope it isn't), then does it matter who owns it?

Ross
      Book a free chat here
      Ross Barnett - Property Accountant

Comment

(under new rules)

if there is a fixed term tenancy, then i would have thought the word fixed term means the tenancy has an end date.

so under the new rules, there is no such thing as a fixed term tenancy and the tenant can stay as long as they like?

Comment

Should be no problem doing this.
          Rent it for 9 months then terminate as you want to change its use to PPOR.
          Revert to a rental after the summer 3 months.
          Repeat each year.

Comment

If it is a student town it would be a win win!

Comment

Originally posted by Rosco View Post
              If this isn't a valid reason (which I would hope it isn't), then does it matter who owns it?
              Indeed it does. Family Trusts and Companies do not have family. Therefore the tenancy can not be terminated under that clause.

www.3888444.co.nz
              Facebook Page

Comment

Indeed it does. Family Trusts and Companies do not have family. Therefore the tenancy can not be terminated under that clause.
                As I put in my comment, would this apply to holiday home? If they want to use it for 3 months which I presumed was for a holiday home, then can they use this clause as I'm guessing it won't be their main house.

Ross
                Book a free chat here
                Ross Barnett - Property Accountant

Comment

I assume most rentals will be owned by trusts or companies.
                  Does this mean the TT won't accept the 'change of use' clause - family member moving in - ?
                  How would you remove a tenant if the property is owned by a trust or company?
                  Should we own all rentals in our own names?

Comment

Change of Use

Hmm, but surely by definition a Family Trust has beneficiaries which will be family members. Hence the change of use would be from rental to use by a beneficiary of the trust?
                    I would (naively?) hope that this is the sort of detail that gets sorted out during drafting and submissions cycle

Comment

My understanding was that the FTT changes to a Periodic at the end of the FT if nothing else happens (ie. notice of non-renewal not given and lease not renewed). If the lease ends and the correct notice is given, then the tenant moves out?

So, isn't the answer, yes, if you can find a tenant willing to take the 9 months lease?
                      DFTBA

Comment

I would hope so

Comment

Under the proposals, the tenant would have the sole choice of accepting the fixed term termination date or staying on and allowing the tenancy to automatically become a periodic.
                          The landlord would have no say in the matter - the choice would entirely be up to the tenant, who could stay on forever if they choose to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by flyernzl View Post
                            Under the proposals, the tenant would have the sole choice of accepting the fixed term termination date or staying on and allowing the tenancy to automatically become a periodic.
                            And I will be discussing, with the sitting tenant, the price variation policy our firm has on rent for fixed term contracts and periodic contracts.

www.3888444.co.nz
                            Facebook Page

Comment

And I will be discussing, with the sitting tenant, the price variation policy our firm has on rent for fixed term contracts and periodic contracts.
                              Out of curiosity only, are you Ok to share that policy and your reasoning for the variation? Up until now I havent thought about this as most of my tenants are very stable long term, but with this new proposal may have to reconsider

Comment

Working...
                              X