Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cross leases that're also leasehold?

Hi guys,

I'm moving back to Nelson, and instead of getting rid of my tenants (which are churning out pretty good rental income) - I'm looking at buying a smaller property to live in.

I'm pretty new properties(only having bought my other property about 2 years ago), and have pretty much no experience with cross leases or leaseholds (other ones a freehold). One of the properties I looked was quite funky - it's Leasehold with the term of 999 years (with no ground rent or anything) - and has two standalone properties in 1000 sqms (only one's for sale) - so in a way it's a cross lease as well i guess?

In general I'm super confused by it, the agent was saying it was more of a cross lease unlike a leasehold apartment/commercial, but I'm trying to figure out if this whole thing is dodgy or is that actually normal? Also how does the value of the property go up as technically it's still 'leased' to me instead of me being the freehold title holder. Would you suggest talk to the lawyers and do the due diligence or stay miles away?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

Firstly, never take what the agent says as good advice lol.
    This thread explains it well.

I find it weird that it is a leasehold and no rent? How much is left on the lease period? It sounds like just a cross lease but hard to know without the legal description.

Comment

999 year leasehold is how they subdivided 50 years ago

99% as good as freehold
      have you defeated them?
      your demons

Comment

Exactly! I thought maybe the agent was feeding my lies. Looked through the LIM report and it said 999years lease, and the lease started in 1975. So I guess another 924 years? Generally was quite a weird one!

Comment

Sounds like agent doesnt actually know what they are talking about.

What is a pet peave to me is, you are paying freehold prices for the land but you dont actually own it. Be wary, google cross leases and maybe contact legal aid to get an exact idea on what you cant and cant do. ie are eri pointed out in my case, there is nothing stopping the neihbour parking their boat on your land as its not your land and will take a lot of costly court cases to resolve which you will have to pay.

Comment

99%? cross leases run fine

here are some of the horror stories stuff has run

have you defeated them?
            your demons

Comment

Originally posted by eri View Post
              99%? cross leases run fine

here are some of the horror stories stuff has run

https://www.stuff.co.nz/searchresult...920j1946240j10
              Thanks Eri, always a big help.

Comment