• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

So just do it once every 12 months for a bigger rent increase! I can't see the benefit for tenants in this rule change, and I also can't see the issue for landlords.
    More Profit from Property? TEACH ME MORE
    Ross Barnett - Coombe Smith Property Accountants
    Proud to give the best property advice for over 13 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco View Post
    I'm pretty sure they are looking at turning fixed tenancies into periodic, so you would also need a reason to cease fixed term tenancies!
    I'm sure they have a goal of giving tenants right of tenure. Not sure if they will be above board about it, or just slide it it.

I'm not great on tenancy laws, but from talk on facebook groups, this is them sliding it in. Expected May / June 2020.

Ross
    More Profit from Property? TEACH ME MORE
    Ross Barnett - Coombe Smith Property Accountants
    Proud to give the best property advice for over 13 years.

Default Look Over Here - Not Over There!

From the perspective of PT Forumites, what were / are the problems that these measures were aimed at? (Were there any?)

Looks a lot like window dressing by comrade Taxcindarella et al, than anything else. A good distraction from the 10,000 affordable houses debacle, for, if they'd done that, scarcity and cost of residential rentals and related problems would adjust themselves via market forces, would they not?

Also from the perspective of PT Forumites, what were / are the likely unintended consequences of these measures?
    Want a great looking concrete swimming pool in Hawke's Bay? Designer Pools will do the job for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Don't believe the Hype View Post
    Why 12 months?... if you do 6 month fixed terms you have more flexibility and each lease is a new lease so can set the rent accordingly.
    Only if it's a new tenant. If you're renewing with the same tenant then surely the rent can't go up every 6 months.
    Squadly dinky do!

Consequences are higher rent, less availability, less investment and even harder for a tenant to get a foot in the door.
    Tenants are getting done over again. But not a peep of protest from the so called "tenant advocates".
    The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Quote Originally Posted by PC View Post
    But not a peep of protest from the so called "tenant advocates."
    They use the same make and brand of blinkers that the Comrade-socio-commies in W'gton use.
    Want a great looking concrete swimming pool in Hawke's Bay? Designer Pools will do the job for you!

As an addendum: I wonder if this sort of legislation will push more ma & pa PIs out of the market?

And if they're lucky enough to re-take the Treasury benches, what are the gNats going to do about it? Or saying, for now? If anything.

Does anyone have any insight as to what "changing how it is used" covers? I have a property that we currently rent that we plan to move into ourselves when I retire in a couple of years. Currently has a long term tenant. Does this legislation mean that I have no right to move into my own home?

Also I do have an example where the 6 month rule could be a problem - I have a couple of units in a large building currently undergoing leaky building remediation, where rent levels on individual units change quickly depending on what stage the remediation is at. I cant put the rent up in advance to compensate, so probably looking at a few months loss of potential rent rise

Quote Originally Posted by Perry View Post
    A
    And if they're lucky enough to re-take the Treasury benches, what are the gNats going to do about it? Or saying, for now? If anything.
    Where are the useless Nats?
    Worse bunch of commies than the COL. At least the COL force rents up.
    Would be nice to have an opposition party.
    The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Thread Information