X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eri View Post
    am not warning about regular bank lending terms+conditions

but the highly likely extra hooks in non-bank lending

hopefully anyone interested in one of those loans will make extra efforts to fully understand the differences and extra risks

am thinking of the case a few years ago where the big banks sold taranaki farmers interest rate swaps as if they were fixed rate loans

they weren't and after the financial crisis the banks started demanding huge amounts from the farmers

as a group, the farmers challenged the complexity of the derivatives in court and won

afaik their case was strengthened by 3 things

1. it was the countries biggest banks

2. there were many farmers caught

3. due to the bad publicity the banks didn't appeal the decision

imho if it had been just a couple of farmers with a non-bank lender they would have lost their farms
    In an environment of increasing interest rates, it looks like the farmers entered into fixed for floating interest rate swaps to fix their interest rate.

They wanted to fix their interest rate so that it did not increase. It was an explicit bet on interest rates by the farmers.

If interest rates had remained above the level which the farmers had fixed their interest rate, then the farmers would have benefited.

Imagine agreeing to fixing your interest rate for the next 20 years in 2007 at say 9%. If interest rates stayed above 9% over that 20 year time period, the farmer would have benefited.

Instead the interest rates fell below the rate that they fixed at - so the farmers were caught paying a higher interest rate than the market interest rate.

Now that agreement to pay 9% for the next 20 years doesn't look so good when interest rates have fallen to say 5%.

Comment

Originally posted by eri View Post
      over investment property
      I dont follow what you mean sorry?

Originally posted by hawkeye View Post
      We had loans with them years ago and at the time the offset mortgage was innovative. We have the same with Westpac now. It is like having a low interest rate credit card but the maximum limit decreases like a table mortgage so at eg age 65 there is no more credit. You might be able to get one from them where the limit stays the same. If you tend to spend it isn’t a great idea. But if you have good self control it is very useful.
      Yea I like the thought of having something like this with Westpac, ideally something with a decreasing limit and having it with an actual bank makes me feel more secure

Comment

Originally posted by BradFromNZ View Post
        I dont follow what you mean sorry?

Yea I like the thought of having something like this with Westpac, ideally something with a decreasing limit and having it with an actual bank makes me feel more secure

There is nothing unusual or risky I can see about NZ Home Loans - they borrow from Kiwibank and are owned by Kiwi Group Holdings Ltd who own Kiwibank and NZ Post. They just structure your mortgage to help you pay it off faster - something most banks have no incentive to do.

Comment

how do they structure the loan. They say revolving but how it is set up to clear mortgage faster. I know there is two accounts - one for fixed and one for revolving . all money received and spend goes thru revolving account.

Comment

how do they structure the loan. Also, check out these personal loans affiliate programs so you can build up you passive income They say revolving but how it is set up to clear mortgage faster. I know there is two accounts - one for fixed and one for revolving. all money received and spend goes thru a revolving account.
            I'm also interested in this moment because it all sounds way too good
            Last edited by samlarson; 23-03-2021, 03:53 AM.

Comment

You have three accounts
              1: A fixed period loan which is generally the lowest interest rate
              2: Have a floating commercial loan which is generally the lowest interest rate as an account to clear surpluses or shortfalls to
              3: A credit card which has no fees and earns benefits

Use the credit card to buy things pay the credit card on the day the rents come in
              Match the bank mortgages to the day the rents come in

Comment

Working...
              X