Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I rent out top floor of this potential personal dwelling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I rent out top floor of this potential personal dwelling?

I have property on the radar for personal living.

Its about 15 years old, has a nice outlook, has a purpose built Granny flat on the other side of the Garaging, so attached but separated noise wise. (not just a relocatable minor dwelling) that is 1 bedroom and rents for $350.

However upstairs would be unused by us, downstairs is huge enough for our needs, upstairs has a big bedroom with an ensuite including a big corner jet bath, and another room which was planned as a living/rumpus area, its huge. It has its own deck and is nice and tidy. BUT it isnt Consented as a minor dwelling and it doesnt have a kitchen as yet. Also, Im yet to figure out how to seperate it from the main house, I may have to lose some space by putting up another wall as hallway leading to the stairs.

The main house is rented for $850pw, if I was to live in it I would consider $350 again fair for the upstairs.

How much generally is consent with Auck Council? What would be the minimum cost for a DIY kithen? Getting water would be the main issue but I think if it was on the outside wall of the ensuite that might lower the plumbing costs.

My other option would be to just rent it as a boarder or possibly AirBnb etc, its in a seaside part of Auck with nice beaches and cafes within walking distance.

Could have flatmates and kitchen facilities without it being a kitchen. Like sink, microwave, plug in hob, fridge. Would need water but if it's an artist's studio they need somewhere to wash the brushes!

Comment

Originally posted by artemis View Post
      Could have flatmates and kitchen facilities without it being a kitchen. Like sink, microwave, plug in hob, fridge. Would need water but if it's an artist's studio they need somewhere to wash the brushes!
      True. Although I think the Mrs wants a space to herself after us living next to noisy apartments for a number of years. I think she would pay to have the entrance created seperate to upstairs and downstairs.

What I was really wondering would be the Council Consent costs? Im pretty sure the plumbing wont be too bad and the kitchen I can put in.

Or could I create the seperate entrance and still rent it out as a flatmates studio? ie do I need consent for a minor dwelling or could I get away with a small kitchen and small over/stove. Id not put in just a hot plate as I find that just plain taking the piss when somebody is paying me good money, I cant put in a $1k oven, prob get a quality used one for $500. Im only dead set against home owners who do this as I lived in one once and it really is crap for eating/cooking. Their hot plate wasnt hot enough to fry a steak without it stewing and they thought a convection Microwave could cook a roast etc, idiots.

Comment

Standard oven classifies it as a kitchen, different rules from being able to unplug and remove microwave and hob.

These days plenty of people don't cook. Open their fridge and there'll be half a pizza and a lemon.

Comment

Originally posted by artemis View Post
          Standard oven classifies it as a kitchen, different rules from being able to unplug and remove microwave and hob.

These days plenty of people don't cook. Open their fridge and there'll be half a pizza and a lemon.
          Yeah just like the people who own the rental downstairs dont cook haha. but sounds like it would be easier just to rent it out with the hobb and small kitchen etc.

Comment

Christchurch council wouldn’t even let us put a sink for our daughters painting area without saying it was a minor dwelling and paying huge fees as they said it would make it a studio, even though you would have to walk through the centre of our house and up the stairs to reach it! In the end they agreed it could be a laundry area so we were allowed a sink for that.

Comment

Do you have a fire wall in your granny flat that you have now and fire protection separation for your intended upstairs 'separate accommodation'? I wouldn't go down that track of a separate rental using a rental agreement. If the tenant can show that you are not compliant under the RT Act "comply with all requirements in respect of buildings, health, and safety under any enactment so far as they apply to the premises" then they have a right to be refunded. Decisions of the Tenancy Tribunal that relate to landlords returning rent paid where the premises could not lawfully be used for residential purposes can be searched online at www.justice.govt.nz/tribunals/tenancy/orders/. Note - there have been other cases where premises were found to be unlawful for residential purposes where the Tribunal did not order rent repayment.
              I would go with flatmates here. Not worth the trouble (money) and risk, unlawful living arrangement would also be frowned upon by the insurance company.

Comment

you could move the sink from somewhere e;lse in the house

putting up the wall is crossing the line as you are creating seperate hiusehold

if it doent have a kitchen it isnt a granny flat yet

Think flatmates with self contained space with flatmates agreement that is outside the RTA

Im only dead set against home owners who do this as I lived in one once and it really is crap for eating/cooking. Their hot plate wasnt hot enough to fry a steak without it stewing and they thought a convection Microwave could cook a roast etc, idiots.
                um..... you rented it?

the alternative was all the bells and whistles but then you wouldnt have been able to afford it. (or the costs of development too much for the owner) either way you would not have had the space to rent?

Comment

Working...
                X