No internet connection in new rental

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No internet connection in new rental

My daughters have just rented and moved into a brand new house. They have been there 3 weeks already and haven't been able to get the internet and phone lines hooked up because the title wasn't issued, now finally thats sorted they have just heard that there is a problem with the access pipe under the concrete drive and it will be another month or more before its done. There are 4 people living in this house, one is a fulltime student, and one works from home online. It never occurred to them that they wouldn't be able to have access to the internet a day or so after moving in.
    Any ideas on what they can do to motivate the landlord to get this sorted?
    Is access to the internet something that should be expected in a rental in this day and age?
    I'd welcome some opinions. Cheers

Originally posted by mak View Post
    Is access to the internet something that should be expected in a rental in this day and age?
    Yes, I think so too, but is it the LL who provides that service or pays for the subscription?

Comment

In recent years I have built two new houses and rented them. In both cases the conduit to the house was run as part of laying the u/g services (a service contracted to Downer by Chorus), but nobody would run the connection to the house until somebody signed a supply agreement with an ISP. Not wanting to lock a tenant in to my choice, I left it until the tenant moved in. The lead time has been weeks, even without any concrete (i.e. new/clear conduit from a services pit to the house). Despite both them and me pushing, it has been slow. Only relief was that ISP provided a temporary solution using 4G (with a large data cap at no cost beyond the monthly fee). Maybe your daughter could encourage her ISP to come to the party with a temporary solution.

Comment

Tell the ISP you want a 4G modem untill the fibre is sorted.

Pretty sure Spark and Vodafone do this as standard ....they do with businesses any way .....maybe not residential..........but regardless any ISP worth a dam should offer a 4G modem until fibre is installed.

Get a decent ISP

Cheers
        Spaceman

Comment

Originally posted by heugumper View Post
          but nobody would run the connection to the house until somebody signed a supply agreement with an ISP. Not wanting to lock a tenant in to my choice, I left it until the tenant moved in.
          I anticipated this when I built so signed myself up to a ISP who didn't have a lockin contract.
          They got it installed then I cancelled the contract - all before the 1st tenant.
          Cost me something like $100 each property but small beers really.

Comment

Entitlement Generation

Originally posted by mak View Post
            No. No different to a telephone or TV connection.

Tenants can go for some sort of WiFi connection, if they want to.

Comment

Originally posted by Perry View Post
              No. No different to a telephone or TV connection.

Tenants can go for some sort of WiFi connection, if they want to.
              Generally WiFi works out of your Internet connection as a distribution - not the source.
              If the house was close enough to a Spark phone box they might get WiFi.

Wireless broadband (Spark) may be an option, available most places but not everywhere.

Comment

Yes - sorry - I meant wireless broadband.
                Ash/Ember/Spark are pushing it quite aggressively in some areas.
                I presume to remove Chorus from the costs.

Comment

Originally posted by Perry View Post
                  Yes - sorry - I meant wireless broadband.
                  Ash/Ember/Spark are pushing it quite aggressively in some areas.
                  I presume to remove Chorus from the costs.
                  You presume correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                    I anticipated this when I built so signed myself up to a ISP who didn't have a lockin contract.
                    I like this. Maybe for the next house. Thanks for sharing, Wayne.

Comment

Working...
                    X