Starting again in my 50s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting again in my 50s

I've just been through a divorce and we've sold our properties. I'm left with about 47% equity in my Auckland property and my income has gone down - and I'm in my mid-50s and I don't exactly have lots of time to make and learn from mistakes. I pretty much have to get it right.

I'm thinking to downgrade - i.e. sell my 3 brm and buy a 2 brm minor do-up (minor as in doesn't need much more than new kitchen & paint, or similar), sell and repeat until I've increased my equity. And hope to also buy a rental property in the regions at the same time.

Someone has told me I should just sit in my house and wait out the market, house needs a lot of work but is in a good location. I don't have funds to fully renovate this house at the moment.

Those experienced in this industry - what would you do to get ahead?

That is tough Joolee, but what a great attitude. Suggest you do some serious sums and gather plenty of info before making a big change. Flipping IMO is best attempted with experience. Not only do you end up paying quite big bucks to sell and buy, but there are tax implications and as a rule of thumb everything costs more than the budget.

Comment

Originally posted by artemis View Post
      That is tough Joolee, but what a great attitude. Suggest you do some serious sums and gather plenty of info before making a big change. Flipping IMO is best attempted with experience. Not only do you end up paying quite big bucks to sell and buy, but there are tax implications and as a rule of thumb everything costs more than the budget.

Thanks for your reply. I think I can "flip" once without being taxed. Thanks for the advice, that's the biggest concern for me, not getting the sums right.
      Do you think it's doable?

Comment

You fall under the bright line for any trade now....

My first step would be to speak with a broker. You need to understand your borrowing power in different situations (keep, downgrade etc).

Cheers
        Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick G View Post
          You fall under the bright line for any trade now....
          Unless it's your main home you can sell without paying tax. 2 main homes within 2 years one after the other.

Originally posted by Nick G View Post
          My first step would be to speak with a broker. You need to understand your borrowing power in different situations (keep, downgrade etc).

Cheers
          i agree. What funds can you get to renovate your current house.
          Profiting from Property, not People

Want free help on taking your portfolio to the next level?

Comment

Expenses are not tax deductible for the main home. While not necessarily a showstopper it is something to bear in mind if embarking on renovation, particularly if there is mortgage interest to pay as well.

Comment

Working...
            X