No announcement yet.

Heating Standards for Healthy Home - how to define "main living room"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I asked my tenants who has lived in that house for 5 years - if he's willing to pay $20/w extra for a heat pump and LL will aborb the rest of the cost. The tenants firmly answered "no, we do not need a heat pump."

If LL wanted to install a heat pump, they have to remove this long term tenant in order to increase rent to partly recover the heat pump cost.

Both LL and tenants are unwilling to install the heat pump.

However, if LL don't install heat pump after they become mandatory, tenants can take LL to TT.

In summary, government use their mandatory foot steps on free economy and right of discretion between LL and tenants.

Comment

Originally posted by hacona View Post
      I asked my tenants who has lived in that house for 5 years - if he's willing to pay $20/w extra for a heat pump and LL will aborb the rest of the cost. The tenants firmly answered "no, we do not need a heat pump."

If LL wanted to install a heat pump, they have to remove this long term tenant in order to increase rent to partly recover the heat pump cost.
      Sorry, you have got this bit wrong.
      You can install the heat pump.
      You can increase the rent to cover the cost of the heat pump.
      If the tenant doesn't like it, then the tenant is allowed to leave.

Comment

Originally posted by Learning View Post
        I suggest you shop around. FUJITSU ASTG24 8kw heating capacity. Power draw under 2.4kw so can be wired directly to the back to a standard 3 pin socket. A few places have it for under $2500.

I also question the annual servicing. I've got 5 heatpumps across 4 dwellings and never had one professionally serviced in 12 years.
        FUJITSU ASTG24 8kw from Noel Leeming is on special cost $3000. It can not be wired directly to the back to a standard 3 pin socket. I called an heat pump installer to confirm this.

The standard price for 1 Heat Pump or Ducted System Service is $145.00 per unit (gst inclusive). PM normally charges about $150.

Comment

Originally posted by hacona View Post
          FUJITSU ASTG24 8kw from Noel Leeming is on special cost $3000.
          As I said, shop around....

Compare prices on Fujitsu ASTG24 from New Zealand's best shops. Start saving today by comparing prices and offers on Heat Pumps & Air Conditioners. Set price alerts and view price trends. Read reviews from both users and experts.

Comment

Thanks for your advice. I read the reviews and I'd rather spend more with better quality heat pump. Below is the feedback from other user

Don't buy it!
            Verdict: I have owned quite a few heat pumps and this one is by far the worst. It's noisy and drafty and impossible to be in the same room when it's running, unless you want to be miserable. The fan surges and the louver vanes creak. Fujitsu's customer support is also very poor. Changed it for a Mitsubishi GE71 and can't believe the difference, and their WiFi is much better also.
            Last edited by hacona; 11-09-2019, 07:48 AM.

Comment

half the reviews are 5/5 yet you focus on the ONE that is 1/5

why choose to focus on the ONE review vs. the majority of feedback?

Comment

Heat Pump vs Infrared

As a choice, personally I do not like heat pumps and its not applicable at some of my rentals, anyone else done research on infrared heaters? They can be wall mounted or ceiling mounted so would be out of the way.

Comment

With all electric heaters that use electricity to make heat, energy in equals energy out. 100% efficiency (near enough). l1kw of electricity makes 1kw of heat. Infrared heaters follow this rule.

Heatpumps dont use electricity to make heat but instead use it to move existing heat from one place to another. Literally pumping heat. And therefore are capable of much higher energy efficiency. Typically 350%.

This is why the powers at be have decided that electric heaters (other than heatpumps) are not efficient enough for rentals.

Comment

put a curtain in the doorway? problem solved

next thing they will be insisting on door closers so that the interconnecting door is always shut

Comment

Originally posted by John the builder View Post
                      next thing they will be insisting on door closers so that the interconnecting door is always shut
                      Scaremongering - they won't!

Comment

thanks, I did overlook this, so technically I have no option but to install a heat pump.

The act states:

If the main living room’s required heating capacity is more than 2.4kW, the heater must not be an electric heater (except heat pump), unless it is used to top up an existing heater that was installed before July 2019

If you are adding a new heater to a room with existing heating, each heater must meet the general requirements for heaters. There is one exception, which is that you can add a smaller fixed electric heater to ‘top up’ your existing heating if you meet all of the following conditions:

If you installed your existing heating before 1 July 2019 each of your existing heaters meets the general requirements and is not an electric heater (except for a heat pump)the required heating capacity is more than 2.4 kWthe ‘top up’ you need is 1.5 kW or less.

Comment

Working...
                        X