Greenland . How do you buy a country?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greenland . How do you buy a country?

People have ridiculed Donald for offering to buy Greenland.

After a bit of research, I found out that it's not the first time America has offered to buy Greenland.

And that there is already a huge US base there.

And that the land itself is full of Eskimo type folks (please forgive the political incorrectness).

My question is this:

Since the days of kings and empires are over, and the US already can do what they want there, why offer to buy the place?

Didin't take a lot of research to work that out.
    They have even purchased off the Danish - US Virgin Islands.

Why offer to buy - because they want access to the resources. At the moment they can only operate their base (on a lease) not strip mine.
    The stupid bit is Donny boy didn't realise that the Danish can't even sell (Greenland has autonomy) so he was wanting to talk to the wrong people. I wonder if does all his real estate deals that way?

Comment

Ahhh... first rule of selling, make sure you're talking to the decision maker.

Maybe he needs to go back to sales school.

Comment

Greenland is a massive ongoing financial burden to Denmark. From what I understand, nobody can buy property in Greenland. No idea why that would be. Possibly results in very little investment going on there. Which doesn't help Denmark.

Comment

Just need a lot more lawyers.
          Probably a pretty good commission to pay as well.
          The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

Would be worth a lot strategically - maybe an Auction is the best strategy.
            Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Originally posted by donna View Post
              Would be worth a lot strategically - maybe an Auction is the best strategy.
              Renting it rather than selling would be the best option.
              If someone wants it for the resources just rent the rights for a bit.
              If someone wants it for an air base rent the airbase or land.

You could auction the rights.

Comment

With the never decreasing mammoth debt the US is so proud of, should they even be looking at such frivolous luxuries?

Comment

Working...
                X