Granny flat without council permission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the risk you mentioned was smoke?

non disclosure shpuldn\t invalidate unless the work causes the damage?

Comment

It could be smoke, or it could be electrocution, it's just an example.
      Profiting from Property, not People

Want free help on taking your portfolio to the next level?

Comment

the risk is the same whether unconsented or not?

Comment

MMM. Unlawful rental = rent paid back and an inability to terminate the tenancy.

= rent free accommodation for the tenants.

(From this Wednesday onwards)

Good investment here.

www.3888444.co.nz
          Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by John the builder View Post
            the risk is the same whether unconsented or not?
            Why open yourself up for others to screw you?

Comment

the only reason you get screwed is because you dont manage the process correctly.

Get a flatmates agreement and you are outside the RTA and the clutches of the TT. This is easy if you live at the property.

This silly talk about smoke and insurance is red 'hearing'

Comment

Originally posted by Keys View Post
                MMM. Unlawful rental = rent paid back and an inability to terminate the tenancy.

= rent free accommodation for the tenants.

(From this Wednesday onwards)

Good investment here.
                Yep, sigh, another thing to read up on. Not that I have any of these.
                Squadly dinky do!

Comment

the only reason you get screwed is because you dont manage the process correctly.

Get a flatmates agreement and you are outside the RTA and the clutches of the TT. This is easy if you live at the property.

This silly talk about smoke and insurance is red 'hearing'
                  I'm highlighting some of the dangers of having unconsented works.

Comment

No you arent you are reinforcing the BS that is put around that makes owners worry about having council knock on their door at 3,00am because they have an unconsented sink in their basement.

There is no "danger" in having "unconsented work" as long as that work is ''safe and sanitary".

Comment

Ok you're making the assumption that it's just the sink and that the downstairs is fit for use while people are living upstairs.

I agree with a safe and sanitary but I also would anonymously ask about the downstairs use, because to me it sounds like a basement conversion.

Comment

DW
                        so what?
                        The basement conversion only has to be safe and sanitary as well, as long as it all is used as a single household unit

Comment

DW
                          so what?
                          The basement conversion only has to be safe and sanitary as well, as long as it all is used as a single household unit
                          You're making another assumption that it's a single howiehold. This is why I said in post number 4 or 5 to do some investigations, I even mentioned to get a good builder around for that effect. We can't assume too much here , you and I, we can only give direction without making too many assumptions because we know nothing about the property.
                          Youre right it's necessary to have safe and sanitary but you don't know if a wall has been removed without further looking into.
                          If you search on google about invalidated insurance claims because of unconsented works you will find some cases. Even if you have safe and sanitary an insurer can rob you of your claim if they pick up something hasn't been consented. I'm not trying to scare anyone, I'm just highlighting the risks. The council may not come knocking at 3am but an upstairs prick of a tenant could.
                          You certainly don't want to go blabbing to the council they may force you into costly consents for works you're not aware of, a can of worms.
                          Maybe I'm being too careful these days with more to lose, but if you're housing tenants or flatmates make sure you have all your bases covered.
                          Get council files.
                          Get a good builder around.
                          Get a lawyer to check your house sharing /tenancy agreements. .

Comment

get a electrician to certify safe, plumbing and gas also Get safe and sanitary report. present to insurer as disclosure make sure you rent to flatmates and avoid RTA

Comment

Working...
                            X