• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Has anyone had additions done to their property. Whats the process? Going crazy.

Has anyone had additions done to their property. Whats the process? Its driving me batty.
    We want to build two rooms in the garage, add internal access stairs and under the rest of the house we want to dig it out and make a garage. So we go to the builder who says, yes doable but is unable to give us a rough estimate. We are told they'll need drawings. Tried a couple of other builders but were told the same. So off to an architect. In fact several architects. Keep getting sent a quote and an account.

Im not prepared to start throwing money at anything until I got a fair idea its going to be viable. So I go back to the builder Im probably going to use and gave her some very basic drawings one of the architects drew up, (with out me asking them too but Im not complaining) and asked the builder to give me a quote off the drawings. Builder says its too hard and they dont want to take a quess, so send me off to see a quantity surveyor.

So i chat to the quantity surveyor who says, they'll cost up what they can off the drawings and that may be as little as $1800 or up to and possibly over 5k..

So now Im scratching my head where to from here.

What is the correct procedure to go about finding out if the build is going to be viable or not? I dont want to start throwing lots of money at the build if it means we'll be over capitalising. Any thoughts guys?

You asked a builder to give a fixed quote for a vague amount of work?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Kane View Post
    You asked a builder to give a fixed quote for a vague amount of work?
    No.
    I asked for a rough price guide. I do understand it would be hard to put an exact figure on such a job, but I do need some sort of guide.
    Real estate sales people tell me that what I intend to do will add aprox 200k value on the house. I need to find out whether Im going to be over capitalising by going ahead with this build.

My reason for posting in here is to find out how to go about this process with out throwing lots of money down the drain first, only to find out later its not doable. Are you able to advise on this?

Or are you suggesting that you would just sign an open check for any building company that wanted to take the job on?

Well take your first estimate and double it. That’s my experience.

start with QS.

If you dont invest something (1800?) you wont get this off the ground. There are good reasons why others havent done this before you.

QS may be able to apply element rates to build up a number.

You cant expect others to do this for you and no certainty of getting a job out of it?

You say you don't want to have to throw a tonne of money at the project to determine if it is viable... which is sound. But you can't get away with spending nothing. If you invest a few thousand dollars maybe even as much as $5k depending on level of detail you want to go into, you'll know if you have a viable project.

In this market with all trades and associated professional services awash with work no one is going to invest their time to help you get your project off the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Don't believe the Hype View Post
    You say you don't want to have to throw a tonne of money at the project to determine if it is viable... which is sound. But you can't get away with spending nothing. If you invest a few thousand dollars maybe even as much as $5k depending on level of detail you want to go into, you'll know if you have a viable project.

In this market with all trades and associated professional services awash with work no one is going to invest their time to help you get your project off the ground.
    Thank you every one.. This is exactly what I was trying to ascertain. Whether I had to be throwing money at it it find out if it was viable.

Seems a crazy way to do things as it becomes a gamble as to whether you are just throwing good money down the drain. Looks like I need to chew over where to from here. Thanks for the clarification guys.

Quote Originally Posted by friendly_prawn View Post

Seems a crazy way to do things as it becomes a gamble as to whether you are just throwing good money down the drain. Looks like I need to chew over where to from here. Thanks for the clarification guys.
    I'm confused why you think others should gamble as you put it on your project. This cost is no different to paying for a building inspector to check out a property before you buy it. Would it be a waste to spend a few hundred dollars on a building inspection to find the property was in poor condition so you pulled out of the purchase?

You want others to provide you their expertise at no cost to you so by definition at a cost to them so you can then make a decision to proceed if the outcome is beneficial to you.

Financial reward comes with risk - no risk = no reward. If you don't want to take the risk of a few k on the feasability of the project then don't spend the money - put it in the bank at negative interest rates.

I'm confused why you think others should gamble as you put it on your project. This cost is no different to paying for a building inspector to check out a property before you buy it. Would it be a waste to spend a few hundred dollars on a building inspection to find the property was in poor condition so you pulled out of the purchase?

You want others to provide you their expertise at no cost to you so by definition at a cost to them so you can then make a decision to proceed if the outcome is beneficial to you.

Financial reward comes with risk - no risk = no reward. If you don't want to take the risk of a few k on the feasability of the project then don't spend the money - put it in the bank at negative interest rates.
    So can you explain since you obviously know so much about it, what are the actual steps that should be taken in trying to get a project off the ground? How do you get to a point where you know if the job is going to be viable or not? Is it getting drawings done then submitting them to a builder to get a quote? Is it taking drawings or perhaps a concept plan to a quantity surveyor? What steps would you take to get to a point that you can have a fair idea whether the job is viable so that you can give a building co the go ahead?

Financial reward also comes with using common sense and logic. But in this case its not financial reward we are after. We want to have a larger house with internal access. Building underneath is not the only option. There is the option of just selling the house and buying something already built. Its simply a matter of asking all the right questions before doing anything and making a decision on which way we move forward. No point in jump in the deep end blindfolded. Only way to learn is to ask. Hope that makes sense.

Thread Information