Builders hourly rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Builders hourly rates

Can someone please tell me what builders are charging per hour these days?

Sandie

Re my question about builders rates, I should have said that I live in the Pakuranga, Auckland area.

Sandie

Comment

Originally posted by Sandie View Post
      Re my question about builders rates, I should have said that I live in the Pakuranga, Auckland area.

Sandie
      45 to 65 here in Dunedin

Comment

Builders hourly rates

Originally posted by jimO View Post
        45 to 65 here in Dunedin
        Re builders hourly rates in Auckland. Thank you JimO for your response from Dunedin. I have been quoted $80 per hour for a job lasting two to three days. It seemed high.

Sandie

Comment

Re builders hourly rates in Auckland. Thank you JimO for your response from Dunedin. I have been quoted $80 per hour for a job lasting two to three days. It seemed high.

Sandie
          That's about right Sandie but as always you should get quotes from different builders.
          Profiting from Property, not People

Want free help on taking your portfolio to the next level?

Comment

Re builders hourly rates in Auckland, thank you DaveW for your response. You wrote, re the quoted rate of $80 per hour, "That's about right..." I am shocked, but it's a while since I engaged a builder. Just the little feedback so far is such a help, so thank you.

Yes, I agree Dave that I should get quotes from different builders, but I gather they're so busy. Another I tried, isn't available until next year.

Sandie

Comment

Do those rates include GST? And is the builder doing the work at $80 ph a LBP? An apprentice or hammer hand should not be charged out at $80.

There will be cheaper rates around, but there is always - are they doing cashies and how come they are available now instead of being booked up.

In any case it is ECON 101 - rates and wait times go up if there is a shortage. And of course if costs go up, with flow on from wage rises, petrol tax etc etc.

Comment

Hi Artemis, No, the rate does not include GST. I don't know what LBP means. The guy is not an apprentice; has 30 years experience. He said he would fit the job in before starting a larger one elsewhere. What does ECON 101 mean?

Sandie

Comment

Hi Artemis, No, the rate does not include GST. I don't know what LBP means. The guy is not an apprentice; has 30 years experience. He said he would fit the job in before starting a larger one elsewhere. What does ECON 101 mean?

Sandie
                  LPB Licensed Building Practitioner

Comment

Artemis, what does ECON 101 mean?

Comment

Our builders are charging $55 per hour + GST + 15% company margin. So that's $71.50 and we're in Kapiti. A sole operator with less overheads may be just the hourly rate + GST

cheers,

Donna
                      Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Those builders with "30 years experience" tend to charge more. They should have an assistant/apprentice on a lesser rate.
                        If it were me for a 3 day job I would get a quotation from at least 3 builders, but it's up to you.

Comment

Artemis, what does ECON 101 mean?
                          Refers to year 1 studies in economics, so introduction to for example supply and demand. Shorthand for the most basic economic knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveW View Post
                            If it were me for a 3 day job I would get a quotation from at least 3 builders, but it's up to you.
                            In theory I agree, but generally busy builders can't be bothered quoting along with others. The not very busy ones might but have to wonder why they are not busy.

Personally I would not worry too much about the rate, but would worry about honesty, work quality and references. That usually means asking people you know and being prepared to wait till they are available.

Comment

Originally posted by artemis View Post
                              In theory I agree, but generally busy builders can't be bothered quoting along with others. The not very busy ones might but have to wonder why they are not busy.

Personally I would not worry too much about the rate, but would worry about honesty, work quality and references. That usually means asking people you know and being prepared to wait till they are available.
                              I agree asking people you know can be a good source for finding reputable builders, and I am not saying one should go with the dodgy cheap cowboys, but if one wants to profit from property then you should absolutely get more quotes, of course you don't tell the builders you are pitting one off against the other, you simply want to watch your budget.

I'm not sure where the original poster is coming from, and maybe it's her own home and is not in the property business, but If you are not working to minimise your outgoings then you will not get too far in this business.

Comment

Working...
                              X