• Login:
Welcome, Register Here
follow PropertyTalk on facebook follow PropertyTalk on twitter Newsletter follow PropertyTalk on LinkedIn follow PropertyTalk on facebook
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13

Quote Originally Posted by mrsaneperson View Post
    I guess if one was suspect of the hours charged at the initial stage it may be wise to get a fixed price for completing the rest of the job.
    Yes LBP, own tools.
    I have found for labour only you have to trust them (that they do the hours they charge) and they have to trust you (that you pay without trying to beat them down) otherwise don't do it.
    If you feel that they are taking the piss then change builder.
    Labour only is very much about the relationship.
    I have done it for builders, drain layers, section clearing (including foundation digging) and it has worked out well. I take the risk and they don't charge for the risk (plus margin).
    Section clearing was an interesting one - on a slope. I paid half what he would have quoted on a fixed price.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    I have found for labour only you have to trust them (that they do the hours they charge) and they have to trust you (that you pay without trying to beat them down) otherwise don't do it.
    If you feel that they are taking the piss then change builder.
    Labour only is very much about the relationship.
    I have done it for builders, drain layers, section clearing (including foundation digging) and it has worked out well. I take the risk and they don't charge for the risk (plus margin).
    Section clearing was an interesting one - on a slope. I paid half what he would have quoted on a fixed price.

Maybe you just got lucky, its swings and roundabouts but its definitely best to have a time book of some sorts ,the last builder didnt really have one and just went off his memory at the end of the week but his hours of attendance were not consistent so much better to keep it on the straight and narrow and record it each day. This is especially true when paying $90 /hr .
    Last edited by mrsaneperson; 03-06-2020 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsaneperson View Post
    Maybe you just got lucky, its swings and roundabouts but its definitely best to have a time book of some sorts ,the last builder didnt really have one and just went off his memory at the end of the week but his hours of attendance were not consistent so much better to keep it on the straight and narrow and record it each day. This is especially true when paying $90 /hr .
    im part way through a big reno the highst charge out rate is $70 hr,by the plumber........im in the trade and have never heard of any tradesman charging 90 a hr

Quote Originally Posted by jimO View Post
    im part way through a big reno the highst charge out rate is $70 hr,by the plumber........im in the trade and have never heard of any tradesman charging 90 a hr
    This chap was charging that $90/hr included another laborer in that charge out rate . The main guy was skilled in carpentry while the other was a general labourer digging drains. Probably pretty good rate i guess.

My builder, and a very experienced one, now charges $60 per hour. A neighbour's builder charges $80. I reckon that $90 per hour for both a builder and a labourer is a very fair rate.

Thread Information